The town of Cuero was established in 1872 in response to the construction
of the Gulf, Western Texas & Pacific Railroad line. Cuero is known for
its close association with the abandoned town of Indianola, a major Texas
seaport during the mid-19th century, destroyed by a succession of hurricanes
in the late 19th century. Most of its citizens moved to Cuero, where they
established prosperous businesses. The Cuero Commercial Historic District
incorporates most of the historic downtown area and includes many businesses
that have been in continuous operation throughout the history of the town.
The district includes late 19th- and early 20th-century masonry commercial
buildings reflecting the period when Cuero developed into an important
commercial and agricultural center. By 1912, Cuero was known as the turkey
capital of the world because of its tradition of parading turkeys, raised
on local farms, down Main Street. The turkey trot helped to promote the
developing poultry industry of Cuero.
Dewitt County Courthouse, Cuero, TX
Courtesy of USDA, Calvin Beale photographer
Church in Cuero Commerical Historic District
Courtesy of www.cuero.org
The Cuero Commercial
Historic District extends along Main St. and Esplanade Blvd. in Cuero
at the junction of U.S. 183 and U.S. 87, east of San Antonio. For further
information, visit the Cuero Chamber of Commerce's website
or call 361-275-2112. The DeWitt County Courthouse has also been documented
by the Historic American Buildings Survey.