[graphic] South and West Texas
 [graphic] Texas Home  [graphic] List of Sites  [graphic] Maps  [graphic] Itineraries  [graphic] NR Home

[graphic] Previous Site

[graphic] Property Title
[graphic] Next Site

[photo] Nuestra Señora del Espiritu Santo de Zuñiga
Courtesy of Texas Parks and Wildlife--better images being emailed by Andrea
Nuestra Señora del Espiritu Santo de Zuñiga (Mission Espiritu Santo) was founded in 1722 near Matagorda Bay to minister to the Karankawa Indians. In 1749 the mission was relocated to its present site one-half mile south of Goliad on the San Antonio River. The mission operated the first large cattle ranch on the frontier of New Spain and supplied the needs of communities as far away as Louisiana. Mission Espiritu Santo continued in existence for 110 years. The mission chapel, granary and school, all within a walled compound, were restored between 1935 and 1939 by the Civilian Conservation Corps and the Works Progress Administration under National Park Service direction. Today Mission Espiritu Santo is open to the public as part of the Goliad State Historical Park.

Mission Espiritu Santo is located in Goliad State Historical Park south of Goliad on U.S. Hwy. 183. The mission and museum are open 8:00am to 12:00pm and 1:00pm to 5:00pm daily, closed Christmas. There is a fee for admission. Visit the park's website or call 361-645-3405 for further information.


Texas Home | List of Sites | Maps | Itineraries | NR HomeNext Site

Comments or Questions



[graphic] National Park Service Arrowhead and link to nps.gov