[graphic] Historic Places in Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands
 [graphic] Link to Puerto Rico  Virgin Islands Home  [graphic]  Link to List of Sites  [graphic]  Link to Maps  [graphic] Link to  Itineraries  [graphic]  Link to NR Home

[graphic] Previous Site

[graphic] Property Title
[graphic] Next Site

[photo] Polvorín de San Gerónimo
Photo from National Register collection

The Polvorín de San Gerónimo (San Geronimo Powderhouse) is one of four gunpowder and ammunition storage buildings the Spanish built in the 18th century as part of San Juan's defensive system. The brick and masonry building, which has a rectangular plan, was constructed between 1769 and 1772 by Spanish Military Engineer Juan Francisco Mestre. The building's vaulted interior is supported on both sides by 10 massive buttresses. In 1935, the powderhouse was used as the Museum of Natural History and in 1945 it served as a zoo. The building was restored between 1992 and 1994 by the Puerto Rico National Parks Trust.

The Polvorín de San Gerónimo, part of the Linea Advanzada, is located within the Luis Muñoz Rivera Park, east of the city of San Juan, Puerto Rico. The Polvorín de San Gerónimo has also been documented by the Historic American Buildings Survey.



Puerto Rico/Virgin Islands Home | List of Sites | Maps | Itineraries | NR HomeNext Site

Comments or Questions



[graphic] National Park Service Arrowhead and link to nps.gov