[graphic] Historic Places in Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands
 [graphic] Link to Puerto Rico  Virgin Islands Home  [graphic]  Link to List of Sites  [graphic]  Link to Maps  [graphic] Link to  Itineraries  [graphic]  Link to NR Home

[graphic] Link to Previous Site

[graphic] Property Title
[graphic] Link to Next Site

[photo] New Herrnhut Moravian Church
Photo courtesy of William Lomax

Moravian missionary Frederick Martin established the Virgin Islands' first Moravian church in 1737, after purchasing a plantation on the east end of St. Thomas. The plantation was named "New Herrnhut" in honor of the Mother Church in Germany. The New Herrnhut Moravian Church, a one story brick and stucco building with a hipped roof, was most likely built soon after the plantation's purchase, for New Hernhutt was a thriving plantation by 1770. In 1867, a hurricane damaged much of the plantation, which then fell into ruin. Nevertheless, church and school activities continued. Today, the site includes the church, an historic cemetery and a 20th-century building which houses both church and school offices.

New Herrnhut Moravian Church is located off of Rd. 208 east of Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas Island, U.S. Virgin Islands. Call 340-775-3255 for more information.


Puerto Rico/Virgin Islands Home | List of Sites | Maps | Itineraries | NR HomeNext Site

Comments or Questions



[graphic] National Park Service Arrowhead and link to nps.gov