[graphic] Historic Places in Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands
 [graphic] Link to Puerto Rico  Virgin Islands Home  [graphic]  Link to List of Sites  [graphic]  Link to Maps  [graphic] Link to  Itineraries  [graphic]  Link to NR Home

[graphic] Previous Site

[graphic] Property Title
[graphic] Next Site

[photo] The Church of San Blas de Illescas of Coamo
Photo courtesy of the Puerto Rico Office of Historic Preservation

The Church of San Blas de Illescas of Coamo is separated from the open plaza below by a series of ceremonial steps and a delicate cast iron balustrade. Construction on the church began in 1661; it has since been judged one of the most important works of religious architecture in Puerto Rico. The delicately curved Baroque facade reflects a major reconstruction completed in 1784. A two-level bell gable with open arches and bells is prominently featured in the facade. The parish of San Blas of Coamo is one of the oldest on the island.

The Church of San Blas de Illescas is located on the main plaza aligned with Mario Braschi St. in Coamo, Puerto Rico. It is open daily 6:30am-12:00pm.


Puerto Rico/Virgin Islands Home | List of Sites | Maps | Itineraries | NR HomeNext Site

Comments or Questions



[graphic] National Park Service Arrowhead and link to nps.gov