Current view of Ihlen Mercantile,
which was in operation until 1985
Courtesy of Lorraine Draper
Ihlen, five miles south of Pipestone, was founded in 1888. The
Ihlen Mercantile, constructed in 1885 by John Olson, was the first
business establishment in Ihlen and remained in operation as a general
store and post office until 1985. The building is a white frame
building consisting of two units joined by a common wall. The one-story
portion was constructed at a later date for use as a cream handling
station. The outside stairway on the south side of the building
was removed for safety reasons. A gable type roof was added to eliminate
Ihlen Mercantile in 1978,
with the original roof form and outside stairwell
National Register Collection
A railroad town, Ihlen was selected as the freight division point
for the Great Northern Railroad. One reason Ihlen received the distinction
of the hub of the freight division is that there was already a reservoir
there to act as a source of water for the steam engines. With the
decline of steam powered locomotives, the town of Ihlen lost its
railroad distinction, and slowly became the sleepy little village
it is today.
The building is located on the northwest corner of Holman St.
and Sherman Ave. in the village of IhIen.
The building is not open to the public.
| Main Map | List of Sites
| Learn More | Itineraries
| NR Home | Next Site