Discover Our Shared Heritage Travel Itinerary
Pierre and Fort Pierre, South Dakota

Brink-Wegner House

Brink-Wegner House
Brink-Wegner House
South Dakota State Historical Society

Built in 1904, the Brink-Wegner House is one of Pierre’s most ornate and interesting homes. The Shingle style home contains one of the best period interiors in the State, including a mural ceiling in the dining room. It was first home to Andrew C. Brink then owned by the H. C. Wegner family for many years. Wallace Curl purchased the building in 1965 and moved it from 109 South Highland Avenue to its present location.
Shingle style features include the irregular gambrel roof, clapboard siding and four types of shingles siding the upper two-thirds of the building. A variety of window shapes and sizes and a second story bay window with a conical top and finial on the house are additional manifestations of the style.

Andrew C. Brink was one of the city’s most prominent real estate men and contractors when he built the house in 1904. Some believe the design resembles a side-wheel steamboat, an important mode of transportation on the Missouri River on which Pierre is located. Brink lived in the house until his death in 1912, and his family continued to reside there until 1923 when Henry C. Wegner bought the home.

Wegner was the owner of South Dakota’s oldest automobile agency, which is still in business, and his heirs owned the house until 1965 when Wallace Curl, a Pierre educator, purchased and moved it. The Brink-Wegner House was originally located on Highland Avenue near the St. Charles Hotel. Curl moved the home in 1977 to prevent its demolition. The house was the last residential building in a prime commercial location.

Plan your visit

The Brink-Wegner House is located at 110 East 4th St. in Pierre. It is a private residence and is not open to the public.

Next page
Comments or Questions

Itinerary Home | List of sites | Maps | Learn More | Credits | Other Itineraries | NR Home | Search