[graphic] Ohio and Erie Canal National Heritage Corridor: A National Register of Historic Places Travel Itinerary
[graphic] Link to Canal Home  [graphic] Link to List of Sites  [graphic] Link to Maps  [graphic] Link to Essays  [graphic] Link to Learn More  [graphic] Link to Itineraries Home Page  [graphic] Link to National Register of Historic Places Home Page
[graphic] Previous Site
Limbach Block
Historic District
[graphic] Next Site

Limbach Block
Photo courtesy of Cuyahoga Valley National Park, photo by Jeff Winstel

The Limbach Block defines the commercial core of the small village of Clinton, and reflects the community’s ambitions during the railroad era that followed the canal era. Just as Clinton’s two locks gave the settlement an important role in canal transportation, during the railroad era five major lines ran through the small village. With the shift in Clinton’s transportation economy, the retail center moved from Water Street to Main Street. In 1874, the Limbach Brothers, local shoemakers, acquired a few lots on Main Street and in 1878 they constructed a “block” building. The Limbachs maintained a boot and shoe factory/store until the early 20th century. A ballroom on the third floor still has the ticket booth at the entry and a molded plaster ceiling with coffer panels and center medallion. In 1903, Martin Limbach incorporated the Clinton Savings Bank and housed the operation in a corner of the Limbach Shoe Store. By 1918, the Clinton Savings Bank occupied the ground floor of the three-story building. At this time, the storefront of the Italianate building was remodeled and reflects Arts and Crafts influences.

[photo] Historic view of Limbach Block, c.1910
Photo courtesy of Cuyahoga Valley National Park

The Limbach Block reflects both the commercial Italianate and Queen Anne styles. Typical of the roofline, the dominant metal cornice line caps the buildings and features overhanging moldings supported by curving brackets that mimic the fenestration pattern. The middle bays of the block mark the roof-wall junction with brick corbel rows. Tall attenuated second floor two-over-two sash windows are capped with brick header segmental arch lintels and cut stone sills. The commercial fronts each contain a central entry door flanked by large display windows. The design of the eastern commercial front suggests that it was an early 20th-century alteration to the building, perhaps coinciding with conversion of the building to a bank in 1918.

The Limbach Block Historic District includes the odd numbered properties from 7843 to 7853 Main St., in Clinton. Shops are open during normal business hours.

 [graphic] Rotating Postcard Images
 [graphic] Link to Transportation Essay  [graphic] Link to Industry Essay
 [graphic] Link to Preservation  Essay
 [graphic] Link to Ethnicity Essay

Canal Home | List of Sites | Maps| Learn More | Itineraries | NR Home | Next Site
Essays: Transportation | Ethnicity| Industry| Preservation

Comments or Questions


[graphic] National Park Service Arrowhead and link to nps.gov