[graphic] Ohio and Erie Canal National Heritage Corridor: A National Register of Historic Places Travel Itinerary
[graphic] Link to Canal Home  [graphic] Link to List of Sites  [graphic] Link to Maps  [graphic] Link to Essays  [graphic] Link to Learn More  [graphic] Link to Itineraries Home Page  [graphic] Link to National Register of Historic Places Home Page
[graphic] Previous Site
City National
Bank Building
[graphic] Next Site

City National Bank Building
Photo courtesy of Cuyahoga Valley National Park

The City National Bank Building, built in the 1880s, is a six-story masonry Richardsonian Romanesque Revival style building. The rusticated ashlar block façade with its heavy decorative elements, such as engaged grouped columns, sawtooth stone frieze, dentil rows, molded cornices and heavy projecting window arches, creates a highly sculptural wall surface that is a characteristic of the architectural style.

Alternating rows and groupings of arched and flat head windows, the slightly projecting piers and variously sized and textured stringcourses add to the façade's visual richness. The entry level consists of smooth-faced stone, a stepped-down basement entry, side entry door with large columns and balustrade parapet. Adjacent to the entrance three large display windows separate squared columns with scrolled corner brackets. Above the windows is a frieze panel displaying the block name “City National Bank.” The late 19th century saw many new banks in Canton. Before these new banks many financial institutions catered to specific immigrant populations, this “second wave” of banks served the broader public.This building is the only bank building of its era still standing in Canton’s 19-block commercial center.

[photo] Historic view of the City National Bank Building
Photo courtesy of National First Ladies' Library

By 1916, City National ranked fourth among Canton’s major banks with assets of $2.8 million. In 1923 the City National Bank was absorbed by another bank. The building has recently been rehabilitated; it currently houses the National First Ladies’ Library Education Resource Center and is open to the public for scheduled tours.

The City National Bank Building is located at 205 S. Market Ave., in Canton. The building is now the Education Resource Center for the National First Ladies’ Library. Tours are available Tuesday-Saturday, at 9:30am, 10:30am, 12:30pm, 1:30pm and 2:30pm, and in the summer on Sundays as well at 12:30pm, 1:30pm and 2:30pm; there is a fee. For further information call 330-452-0876 or visit the National First Ladies’ Library website.

 [graphic] Rotating Postcard Images
 [graphic] Link to Transportation Essay  [graphic] Link to Industry Essay
 [graphic] Link to Preservation  Essay
 [graphic] Link to Ethnicity Essay

Canal Home | List of Sites | Maps| Learn More | Itineraries | NR Home | Next Site
Essays: Transportation | Ethnicity| Industry| Preservation

Comments or Questions


[graphic] National Park Service Arrowhead and link to nps.gov