[graphic] Ohio and Erie Canal National Heritage Corridor: A National Register of Historic Places Travel Itinerary
[graphic] Link to Canal Home  [graphic] Link to List of Sites  [graphic] Link to Maps  [graphic] Link to Essays  [graphic] Link to Learn More  [graphic] Link to Itineraries Home Page  [graphic] Link to National Register of Historic Places Home Page
[graphic] Previous Site
[graphic] Next Site

The Stahl--Hoagland House
Courtesy of Cuyahoga Valley National Park, photo by Jeff Winstel

The 1834 Stahl--Hoagland House is a small wood frame vernacular Greek Revival residence. Located adjacent to the Ohio and Erie Canal’s entrance into the village of Navarre, the history of this house is strongly associated with canal transportation and commerce. William Stahl worked as a canal boat captain on the Ohio and Erie. Reportedly, Mr. Stahl proudly claimed that he paid for none of the building materials as much of the house consists of former barn materials. In 1881 Marquis L. Hoagland purchased the house. Hoagland was also associated with the canal having the title of “State Boat Captain /Maintenance Foreman for district Four between Massillon and Bolivar.” The State Boat was docked at the house and the house was used as headquarters for business operations. After retiring from service as “State Boat Captain,” Hoagland operated his privately owned Canal Boat freighter, the Isaac Newton, continuing to use the house location as the dock and business headquarters. The Isaac Newton transported materials between Lake Erie and the Ohio River.

Upon purchasing the house, Hoagland added two rooms to the rear creating a new kitchen and buttery. The board and batten siding was also changed to the present weather board siding. Hoagland and his wife Mary raised a family of seven children in the house. The youngest daughter lived here until her death in 1982, whereupon her son, Kenneth Edwards, took title of the house. The one-and-one-half-story house is eave-oriented and contains small attic windows under the eaves. The façade fenestration pattern of window-door-door-window and the simple hall and parlor floor plan reflect association with the Mid-Atlantic settlement culture of the Stark County and mid-eastern section of Ohio. Some cultural geographers regard the two doors in the center as indicative of a “synthetic Georgian-Germanic house,” a transitional building form reflecting the acculturation of German settlers into the dominant Anglo culture.

The Stahl--Hoagland House is located 330 W. Wooster St., in Navarre. It is a private residence, and not open to the public.

 [graphic] Rotating Postcard Images
 [graphic] Link to Transportation Essay  [graphic] Link to Industry Essay
 [graphic] Link to Preservation  Essay
 [graphic] Link to Ethnicity Essay

Canal Home | List of Sites | Maps| Learn More | Itineraries | NR Home | Next Site
Essays: Transportation | Ethnicity| Industry| Preservation

Comments or Questions


[graphic] National Park Service Arrowhead and link to nps.gov