[Link] - Click here to go to the navigation for this page
[graphic] Three Historic Nevada Cities Carson City, Reno, Virginia City A National Register of Historic Places Travel Itinerary
 [graphic] Nevada Home  [graphic] Introduction  [graphic] List of Sites  [graphic] Maps  [graphic] Essays  [graphic] Learn More  [graphic] Itineraries  [graphic] NR Home
[graphic] Previous Site
[graphic] Property Title
[graphic] Next Site

[photo] Olcovich--Meyers House
Photo by Terri McBride, Courtesy of Nevada State Historic Preservation Office
Constructed in 1874 by Prussian immigrant and merchant Joseph Olcovich, this residence is one of the few in Carson City that still has intact Gothic Revival architectural features. Joseph sold the house to his brother and business partner Bernard Olcovich one year later, and in 1885, the house changed hands again, becoming the property of another merchant, George H. Meyers. Meyers added Victorian elements to the residence, such as the Italianate bays. The porch detailing, spiral posts and a spooled frieze harkens to the Eastlake design style. Significant not only for its intact Gothic Revival features like a cross-gabled roof, arched lintels over windows and decorative bargeboards, this residence is also significant for its association with the local Jewish community and the mercantile trade in Carson City.

[photo] Olcovich-Meyers House, front view
Photo by Terri McBride, courtesy of Nevada State Historic Preservation Office

The five Olcovich brothers owned and operated a mercantile enterprise on Carson City's main street. They, and other Jewish merchants, greatly aided in Carson City's development through their role in supplying the Virginia City and the Comstock mining district with much needed goods and services. Bernard and Joseph's brother Hyman built a house a few blocks away in 1876 (412 North Curry Street). The Carson City Jewish community never grew to such a size to establish a synagogue; in general, families practiced Judaism within their homes. Eventually Reno became the hub of the Jewish community in Northern Nevada and a synagogue was built there.

The Olcovich--Meyers House is located at 214 West King St. on the northeast corner of King and Nevada sts. in Carson City. It is a private residence and is not open to the public.

[graphic] Footer with three essays
 [graphic] link to Carson City Essay
[graphic] link to Reno Essay [graphic] link to Virginia City Essay

Nevada Home | Introduction | List of Sites | Maps | Learn More | Itineraries | NR HomeNext Site
Essays: Carson City Essay | Reno Essay | Viriginia City Essay

Comments or Questions

[graphic] National Park Service arrowhead and link to nps.gov