Mount Rose Elementary School is one of two remaining Mission Revival style
schools from a group of four known as the "Spanish Quartet." These single-story
schools were built as a result of a bond issue, and in addition to Mount
Rose, McKinley Park School is the only other of
the four to remain. The other two schools making up the Spanish Quartet
were Mary S. Doten School at the corner of Fifth and Washington streets,
and Orvis Ring, on Seventh between Record and Evans streets. Mount Rose
Elementary was built in 1912 and designed by local architect George Ferris,
in a style that is rare for the Reno area. The school cost $1.18 per square
foot for a total price of $39,743. An addition to the school, designed
by Ferris's son Lehman, was constructed in 1938.
Images of the Mount Rose Elementary
Photos by Mella Rothwell
Harmon, Courtesy of Nevada State Historic Preservation Office
The Mission school is U-shaped with an arcade sheltering the main entry
and brick walls covered with cement stucco. The first of the two domed
bell towers was built in 1912, the second added with the 1938 addition.
The school originally contained 15 classrooms and a kitchen. When Mount
Rose was first built, it was located in a vacant field on the periphery
of growing Reno. The vast residential neighborhoods of Newlands and the
Plumas eventually grew around the school over the first half of the 20th
century. Mount Rose still functions as an elementary school today, serving
children from these large residential areas.
Mount Rose Elementary School in 1913
Photo from the National Register of Historic Places collection
Mount Rose Elementary School is located at 925 Lander St., in Reno.
The school is open to the public during regular school hours.
| List of Sites
| Learn More
| NR Home
Essays: Carson City Essay
| Viriginia City Essay