Graphic image of the state of Lousiana Graphic that contains the title of this itinerary,
Graphic that contains the title of this itinerary
Graphic image of the state of Lousiana, highlighting those parishes that are included in this itinerary Graphic of a pink bar underlining the title
Text that reads
Graphic that provides a link to the Itinerary Home page Graphic that is a link to the Map of this itinerary Graphic that is a link to the List of Sites Graphic that is a link to the Learn More page Graphic that is a link to the National Register's homepage




Christ Episcopal Church

Courtesy of the Capital Resource Conservation and Development Council

Rear of the Christ Episcopal Church
Photograph from the National Register collection

Built about 1840 as a three-bay, gable-front Greek Revival frame church, Old Christ Episcopal Church has been modified over the years. Today, the Old Christ Episcopal Church sits beside its modern, brick successor, the New Christ Episcopal Church. The Old Christ Episcopal Church is architecturally significant as an unusual example of the Queen Anne Revival style in church architecture. Since its beginning in 1846 Christ Church has been an integral part of the community of Covington. Christ Church was organized as a parish of the Protestant Episcopal Church in 1846, and officially adopted the name of Christ Church on December 26, 1846. The original volume of the Vestry minutes indicates that most of the founding parishioners were of English ancestry from the southern states along the Atlantic coast, and were prominent citizens of the community. Jonathan Archer, a 35-year-old naturalized citizen from London, England, was among the original parishioners and selected as the architect. Bishop Leonidas Knox Polk consecrated Christ Church on April 11, 1847. Christ Church was plagued by the ravages of the Civil War. The 1873 arrival of Rev. H. C. Duncan as Rector began the Church's repairs, as the roof had fallen in and the walls were rotted.

Around 1890 six large lancet windows replaced the earlier square head windows. A semioctagonal chancel with two opalescent stained glass windows was added at the rear, and a cove-molded wooden plank ceiling was installed. Finally, a large octagonal tower was added to the fašade along with a large stained glass crescent shaped lunette. The present rear gallery was added to the nave around 1915, and a hurricane destroyed the original spire, which was replaced with the present bell tower. The octagonal tower acquired a conical roof, and the front entrance porch with its stained glass, round head windows was added. Old Christ Episcopal Church is currently used as a chapel in the new church's complex of buildings.

Christ Episcopal Church at 120 N. New Hampshire St., 3 blocks west of Boston St. in Covington. Still used by the Episcopal Church, the building is not regularly open to the public.

Photographic background of azaleas
Photographic background of azaleas Graphic that is a link to a contextual essay on The River Road Photographic background of azaleas Graphic that is a link to a contextual essay on French Creole Architecture Photographic background of azaleas Graphic that is a link to a contextual essay on the Florida Parishes Photographic background of azaleas

 

Itinerary Home | List of Sites | Map | Learn More | Next Site

Comments or Questions

SEB