The Bodley-Bullock House is one of the most prominent and stately
mansions in the Bluegrass region. The home was built circa 1814
for Lexington Mayor Thomas Pindell. Shortly after its construction
it was sold to General Thomas Bodley, a veteran of the War of 1812,
for whom the house was named. The home has many unusual architectural
features and is very similar in design to the Hunt-Morgan
House. Originally constructed as a Federal style residence,
numerous additions and alterations during the 19th century resulted
in a house that is more characteristic of the Greek Revival period.
A small, one-story columned portico was added to the front entrance,
at which time a Palladian window above the door was removed. A large,
two-story columned portico was also added to the side of the house
that faces the garden.
Bodley-Bullock House |
Photograph by Eric
Thomason, courtesy of the Blue Grass Trust for Historic Preservation
During the Civil War the house served as headquarters for
both Union and Confederate forces during the occupation of the city by both factions.
After the war, the house was owned by a series of owners including the Bullock
family who purchased it in 1912. Dr. Waller Bullock was an accomplished sculptor
as well as the founder of the Lexington Clinic. His wife, Minnie Bullock, was
the founder of the Garden Club of Lexington and an avid gardener. Following Mrs.
Bullock's death in 1970 the Junior League of Lexington leased the home from the
Bullock estate for the sum of $1 a year.
The Bodley-Bullock House is located
at 200 Market St. in the Gratz Park Historic District. Now
a house museum, it is open for tours by appointment year-round, except on holidays.
To schedule an appointment or for further information call 859-259-1266.
Lexington Home | Main
Map | List of Sites |
Learn More | Itineraries | NR Home
Essays: Athens of the West | Civil
War | Architecture | Lexington