[graphic] NPS Arrowhead and link to NPS.gov [graphic] Lewis and Clark Expedition
[graphic] Expedition Home  [graphic] List of Sites  [graphic] Itineraries home
 [graphic] Maps  [graphic] Essays  [graphic] Learn More   [graphic] NR Home
[graphic] Return to Previous Site [graphic] Property Title [graphic] Proceed to Next Site

[photo]
Mainstreet of Arrow Rock, Missouri
Courtesy of Friends of Arrow Rock

Arrow Rock was notable in the trail breaking journeys that opened the West, beginning with the Lewis and Clark Expedition on June 9, 1804. Clark noted Arrow Rock Bluff and the party's experience in his journal:

. . . we got fast on a Snag Soon after we Set out which detained us a Short time passed the upper Point of the Island, Several Small Chanels running out of the River below a Bluff & Prairie (Called the Prairie of Arrows) where the river is confined within the width of 300 yds. opposit the Lower point of the 2d Island on the S. S. we had like to have Stove our boat, in going round a Snag her Stern Strucj a log under water & She Swung round on the snag, with her broad Side to the Current expd. to the Drifting timber, by the active exertions of our party we got her off in a fiew Mints. without engerey (injury) and Crossed to the Island where we Campd. Seeing them and the banks too uncertain to Send her over . . . (DeVoto 1997, 7)

[photo]
Pre-1901 picture of Arrow Rock, Missouri
Photo from National Historic Landmarks collection, photographer unknown


Clark passed by Arrow Rock again in 1807 with his Dragoons on the way to build Fort Osage. He commented that the area was an excellent location for a fort and a town. George Sibley established a trading post at Arrow Rock and waited there during the War of 1812 when Fort Osage became too dangerous. A permanent ferry was established in 1817, and the town of Arrow Rock was later founded in 1829.

Arrow Rock, a National Historic Landmark, is 13 miles north of I-70 on Hwy. 41 in Saline County, Missouri. Arrow Rock State Historic Site is open from 7:00am to 10:00pm daily. The Visitor Center is open June-August from 10:00am to 5:00pm daily; March-May and September-November from 10:00am to 4:00pm daily; and December-February open Friday-Sunday from 10:00am to 4:00pm and on holiday Mondays. Please call 660-837-3330, or visit www.mostateparks.com/arrowrock.htm for further information. Walking tours are also offered by the Friends of Arrow Rock daily during the summer, and on weekends in the spring and fall. There is a fee for the tours; please visit the Friends' website for tour times and further information. You can also download (in pdf) the Arrow Rock National Historic Landmark nomination.

 [graphic] Earlier Exploration  [graphic] Scientific Encounters
 [graphic] Preparing for the Journey  [graphic] American Indians
 [graphic] The Journey  [graphic] The Trail Today

Expedition Home | List of Sites | Maps| Learn More | Itineraries | NR HomeNext Site
Essays: Earlier Explorations | Preparing for the Journey | The Journey |
Scientific Encounters | American Indians | The Trail Today

Journal Citations
Comments or Questions

JPJ/RQ/SB