Journey Through A National Register of Historic Places Travel Itinerary
along Route 15 in Virginia's Piedmont
Hallowed Ground
Journey Through Hallowed Ground Homepage
Map of the Virginia Piedmont
Learn More about the Virignia Piedmont
National Register Home Page

Entrance to St. Thomas Church
Photograph courtesy of Scenic America: Deborah L. Myerson

This expression of Classical Revivalism is the successor to the original church of St. Thomas's Parish, demolished after the disestablishment. Erected 1833-34, the church originally lacked its Tuscan portico in antis. This feature was probably added in 1853 when the church was remodeled and enlarged. The alteration of the windows into pointed Gothic windows was made between 1890 and 1895. The builders of the church have not been documented, but they may have been William B. Phillips and Malcolm B. Crawford who worked for Jefferson at the University of Virginia and later built finely crafted Classical Revival works in the central Piedmont. During the Civil War, Robert E. Lee and other Confederates worshipped here in the winter of 1863-64. St. Thomas's also served as a Confederate hospital after the battles of Cedar Mountain, Chancellorsville, the Wilderness, and Spotsylvania Court House. St. Thomas's is noted for its stained glass windows, including one by Tiffany.

The St.Thomas Church is located at 119 Caroline St., in Orange. Open by appointment. For further information visit the website, call 540-672-3761 or email


Piedmont History essay Civil War essay Preserving the Piedmont essay


Itinerary Home | List of Sites | Main Map | Learn More | Next Site


Comments or Questions