Journey Through A National Register of Historic Places Travel Itinerary
along Route 15 in Virginia's Piedmont
Hallowed Ground
Journey Through Hallowed Ground Homepage
Map of the Virginia Piedmont
Learn More about the Virignia Piedmont
National Register Home Page

Front View of St. Paul's Episcopal Church
Photograph courtesy of Ruth E. Lloyd Information Center for Genealogy and Local History, Bull Run Regional Library, Prince William County

Haymarket's Episcopal church was built in 1801 as a district courthouse for the counties of Fairfax, Fauquier, Loudoun, and Prince William. Like other early 19th-century Virginia courthouses it originally had an arcaded entrance. The district court was accommodated here until 1807 when changes in the court system resulted in the eventual sale of the building and its conversion to an academy. It was first used as an Episcopal church in 1822 and was consecrated by Bishop William Meade in 1834. Near both the first and second battles of Manassas, both sides at different times used it as a hospital. In November 1862 Union troops converted the building to a stable and then burned it. The congregation rebuilt within the original walls in 1867, at which time the arcade was closed up for the narthex and the belfry and bracketed cornice were added.

The St. Paul's Episcopal Church is located off State Rte. 55, in Haymarket. It is generally not open for tours, but large tour groups can call 703-754-7536 for information and possible interior viewing. Sunday Church services at 8:00am, 9:30am (children's event) and 10:30 (changed to 10:00am during the summer) are open to everyone.

Piedmont History essay Civil War essay Preserving the Piedmont essay

Itinerary Home | List of Sites | Main Map | Learn More | Next Site

Comments or Questions