Maintaining connections to various phases of Culpeper's history, the Slaughter-Hill
house began in the late 18th century as a one-room-plan structure built
of planked log construction. A frame addition in the early 19th century
doubled its size. The house was further remodeled between 1835 and 1840
when the older sections were renovated and enlarged. The core of the Slaughter-Hill
house remains one of the region's rare examples of a one-room urban vernacular
structure using planked log construction. It probably was built for John
Jameson, who served as the country clerk from 1771 to 1810. The present
name derives from Dr. Philip Slaughter, a prominent local physician who
made the mid-19th-century modifications. The Hill name is from Sarah Hill,
of the locally prominent Hill family, who purchased the house in 1888
and whose daughter owned it until 1944.
Photograph courtesy of Virginia Department of Historic Resources
The Slaughter-Hill House is located at 306 Northwest St., in Culpeper.
It can be viewed externally on one of the Culpeper
Historic District's walking tours.