The Orange County Courthouse marks a radical departure from the traditional
classical-style Virginia courthouse, illustrating public acceptance of
exotic taste in late antebellum times. Designed by Charles Haskins of
the Washington firm of Haskins and Alexander and erected in 1858-59, the
building has all of the major characteristics of the Italian Villa style:
deep bracketed cornices, shallow-hipped roofs, and square tower. The work
is Orange County's fourth court building constructed specifically as such
in the town of Orange. It replaced an existing courthouse that was taken
down as the result of railroad construction. The arcaded openings on the
first floor were filled in c. 1948, but were opened in 2003 during a recent
restoration. The courthouse is complemented by its clerk's office, jail
and Confederate monument. An architecturally sympathetic addition is currently
under construction on the courthouse's north end, and is expected to be
completed in the fall of 2004.
Orange County Courthouse
Photograph courtesy of Virginia Main Street Program
The Orange County Courthouse is located at the junction of North
Main St. and Madison Rd., in Orange. The courthouse is currently closed
until construction of the addition is completed in the fall of 2004.
Call 540-672-3313 for further information.