Journey Through A National Register of Historic Places Travel Itinerary
along Route 15 in Virginia's Piedmont
Hallowed Ground
Journey Through Hallowed Ground Homepage
Map of the Virginia Piedmont
Learn More about the Virignia Piedmont
National Register Home Page

Photograph courtesy of Scenic America: Cheryl Shepherd

A classic Italian Villa-style dwelling, Brentmoor was built in 1859-61 for Judge Edward M. Spilman. In his book The Architecture of Country Houses (1850), Andrew Jackson Downing illustrated a design resembling Brentmoor described as "a simple, rational, convenient, and economic dwelling for the southern part of the Union." The Spilman family sold the property in the 1870s to James Keith, president of the Virginia Court of Appeals. In 1875 John Singleton Mosby, the Confederate ranger, purchased the house. Mosby, with his Partisans outwitted the Union army during the Civil

Brentmoor c.1976
Photograph from National Register Collection, courtesy of Virginia Historic Landmarks Commission
War to the extent that much of northern Virginia was known as "Mosby's Confederacy." Mosby sold the house in 1877 to former Confederate general Eppa Hunton, who was then serving in Congress. Brentmoor was the childhood home of Eppa Hunton III, a founder of the prominent Richmond law firm Hunton and Williams.

Brentmoor is located at 173 Main St., in Warrenton. Although Brentmoor is currently not open to the public, the town of Warrenton has purchased it, and intends to open it as a museum in the future.



Piedmont History essay Civil War essay Preserving the Piedmont essay


Itinerary Home | List of Sites | Main Map | Learn More | Next Site


Comments or Questions