Journey Through A National Register of Historic Places Travel Itinerary
along Route 15 in Virginia's Piedmont
Hallowed Ground
Journey Through Hallowed Ground Homepage
Map of the Virginia Piedmont
Learn More about the Virignia Piedmont
National Register Home Page

Boswell's Tavern
Photograph courtesy of Scenic America: Deborah L. Myerson
A landmark for travelers since Nicholas Johnson built its earliest section c.1735, this weatherboarded structure on the edge of the Green Springs Historic District is one of the state's time-honored rural taverns. It was purchased in 1761 by Johnson's brother-in-law, John Boswell, who served as proprietor until his death in 1788. A number of political figures, including Thomas Jefferson, Patrick Henry, and James Madison frequented the tavern. It served as a headquarters for the Marquis de Lafayette in 1781. British colonel Banastre Tarleton captured colonial troops here during his attempt to sieze Jefferson. The Marquis de Chastellux made reference to Boswell's hospitality in his Travels in North America in the Years 1780, 1781, and 1782. The tavern is divided into two sections: a public area containing two large public rooms, a warming room, stair hall, and bar area, and the innkeeper's wing with a winding corner stair leading to sleeping quarters. The building is now a private residence. 

Boswell's Tavern is located on the north side of State Rte. 22, 2/10 of a mile east of the intersection of Rtes. 22 and 15, 4 miles south of Gordonsville. It is a private residence and is not open to the public. 


Piedmont History essay Civil War essay Preserving the Piedmont essay


Itinerary Home | List of Sites | Main Map | Learn More | Next Site


Comments or Questions