Lending a sense of
continuity and place to the town of Orange, the Ballard-Marshall house
demonstrates the pervasiveness of the Classical Revival tradition in the
Virginia Piedmont. Distinguished by its pedimented roof, Classical trim,
and systematic proportions, the house was built in 1832 for Garland Ballard,
a local merchant. The builders are not known, but the use of finely crafted
Flemish bond and informed detailing suggests a connection with local projects
constructed by craftsmen formerly employed by Thomas
Jefferson. During the mid-19th century the house was owned by the
Photograph courtesy of Scenic America: Deborah L. Myerson
View of Ballard-Marshall House, late 1980s before rehabilitation
Photograph from National Register collection
locally prominent Taylor family. In 1882 it became the home of Fielding
Lewis Marshall, the local superintendent of public education and grandson
of Chief Justice John Marshall. The property remained
in Marshall family ownership until 1962. Rescued from a state of neglect
in 1986, the house has been rehabilitated for apartments.
The Ballard-Marshall House is located at 158 East Main St., in Orange.
It contains several private residences and is not open to the public.