Upper Weyanoke was first inhabited by the Weanoc Indians, the tribe that gave the Weyanoke peninsula its name. The plantation site was settled by English colonists during the 17th century and has been continuously occupied ever since, as indicated by archeological investigations. During the 18th century and early 19th century the locally prominent Minge family owned the property, as well as others on the Weyanoke peninsula, such as North Bend. The one-and-a-half-story, early 19th-century brick cottage was probably built by John Minge as a two-room dependency to a now vanished main dwelling. The grounds of Upper Weyanoke also include a Greek Revival style residence built for Robert Douthat in 1859. The commodious two-story brick home has a side-hall plan typically utilized in urban homes, rather than rural plantation houses.
Upper Weyanoke came into the Douthat family with the marriage of Eleanor Warner Lewis to Robert Douthat in 1819. The property remained in the Douthat family until 1930. In 1942, the house was purchased by Henry and Evelyn Bahnsen and today remains in possession of their descendents.
Upper Weyanoke is located on Weyanoke Rd. (Charles City County Rte. 619) on the south side of Virginia Rte. 5. It is available for weekly lodging rental. Please call 804-359-1560 or visit the house's website for further information.
James Home | List of Sites | Maps| Learn More | Itineraries | NR Home | Next Site
Essays: Architecture | Colonization| The Gentry|
Comments or Questions