This large tract of land along the James River includes a series of important archeological sites excavated in the 1970s. The principal archeological site is that of the c. 1736 mansion of Colonel Lewis Burwell, naval officer for the lower James River. The plantation known as Kingsmill was destroyed in 1843. Marked by a pair of still extant one-story, brick dependencies, archeology at the site revealed a house with a formal plan, an elaborate paved forecourt, terraced gardens and numerous outbuildings.
Nearby, Burwell's Landing contains the site of an 18th-century warehouse, a colonial-era tavern, Revolutionary War and Civil War fortifications. Other important features include three 17th-century domestic sites. The archeological excavation and survey supplied much needed architectural and historic information concerning daily life on a plantation. Anheuser Busch, Inc. sponsored the excavations and incorporated the preserved archeological sites into the landscape design for their Kingsmill on the James residential and resort community.
Kingsmill Plantation is located at 1010 Kingsmill Dr., north of Virginia Rte. 60 and east of Williamsburg. It is open daily for self-guided tours to visitors of the resort. Please call 1-800-832-5665 or visit Kingsmill Plantation for further information. Kingsmill Plantation has also been documented by the Historic American Buildings Survey.
James Home | List of Sites | Maps| Learn More | Itineraries | NR Home | Next Site
Essays: Architecture | Colonization| The Gentry|
Comments or Questions