20) Fernandina Beach Historic District
The Fernandina Beach Historic District represents the development of Fernandina in its new location to the south of Old Town Fernandina. A catalyst for this development was the construction of the railroad and the subsequent tourist boom during the late 19th century. Fernandina's location at the head of the rail line, and its natural harbor on the Amelia River, launched an economy based on shipping, fishing, forestry, and tourism. Many of the popular architectural styles of the late 19th and early 20th centuries are represented in residential Fernandina. Among the best examples of these are the Italianate style Fairbanks House with its large square tower (7th Street); the Palace Saloon built in the Beaux Arts style with a period interior, pressed tin ceilings and murals from 1907 (Atlantic Avenue), the Fernandina Beach Courthouse, one of the finest surviving Victorian courthouses in the state (Atlantic Avenue and 5th Street); and Villas Las Palmas, an eclectic California Mission style residence built in 1910. Other fine examples are found in the 100 block of N. 6th Street, called the "Silk Stocking District," where many of Fernandina Beach's most prominent citizens built their homes.
Fernandina Beach Historic District is at the north end of Amelia Island in the city of Fernandina Beach and is roughly bounded by Sixth, Broome, N. Third, Escambia, Seventh, Date, and Ash Streets. For more information call the Chamber of Commerce at (904) 261-3248.