Market Street Bridge
Photograph from National Register collection
The Market Street Bridge is one of the most important
bridges crossing the Susquehanna River. Built from 1926
to 1929, it is an excellent example of a long-span 1920s
urban bridge. At approximately 1,400 feet, it is one
of the longest and most highly ornamented concrete bridges
in Pennsylvania. This monumental 12 arch reinforced
concrete and granite structure incorporated two pylons
at approach; each pylon is topped with a giant carved
limestone eagle. The original construction included
a water gauging station and ornamental light standards.
The water gauging station has been inoperable since
1943 and the light standards have all been replaced.
Construction of the 12 arches was accomplished using
adjustable steel trusses for centering. The six longer
spans over the river comprise open spandrel arches of
three wide ribs each. The end spans over the flood plain
consist of shorter barrel arches with solid spandrel
walls. A 1,500 foot long cable way hung from large towers
on the riverbanks to convey concrete in hoppers to the
middle spans. The Market Street Bridge, which replaced
an earlier truss bridge, was designed by Carrere & Hastings,
a renowned New York City architectural firm that also
claims the New York Public Library among its many commissions.
The Market Street Bridge spans the Susquehanna River,
meeting east Market St. in Wilkes-Barre.
Corridor Home | Map
| List of Sites |
Learn More | Itineraries | NR
Home | Next Site