Click here to go directly to the contents of this page
[graphic header] A National Register of Historic Places Travel Itinerary Delaware and Lehigh National Heritage Corridor
 [graphic] link to Corridor Home [graphic text] Delaware and Lehigh National Heritage Corridor
[graphic] link to Maps
[graphic] link to List of Sites
[graphic] Link to Learn More
 [graphic] Link to Itineraries
 [graphic] Link to NR Home
[graphic] Link to Previous Site[graphic] Link to Next Site

[graphic] Central Railroad of New Jersey Station

Aerial view of the New Jersey Station
Photograph from the National Register collection

Central Railroad of New Jersey Station
Photograph from the National Register collection

Constructed in 1868, the Central Railroad of New Jersey Station was designed by the firm of Wilson Brothers of Philadelphia. It is a brick one and one-half story building, five bays in length with a three and one-half story cylindrical tower. Once considered one of the finest passenger stations on the Jersey central line, the main mass of the station is covered by a gable roof and supported by brackets, with two gabled dormers on either side, double chimneys at either end, and a large wooden cupola which dominates the building. This terminal was a major rail junction in the anthracite region. Work began on what was then the Lehigh and Susquehanna Railroad as early as 1838. By 1843, the first passenger train came in over the Ashley Planes, but it was not until 1866 when the backtrack from Mountaintop to Wilkes-Barre was completed, eliminating the need for the Planes, that the first passenger train arrived in Wilkes-Barre on its own steam. With the discontinuance of passenger service in 1963, the station began to deteriorate, and on March 31, 1972, 106 years to the day the Jersey Central had begun its operation of the Lehigh and Susquehanna Division, the station was officially closed. Listed in the National Register in 1976 the station now houses the Tourist Welcoming Center.

The Central Railroad of New Jersey Station, now the Jim Thorpe Visitor's Center, is located at the Reading Terminal, 12th and Market Sts., on Lehigh Ave. It is open Monday-Saturday, 9:30am to 5:30pm and Sunday, 9:30am to 4:30 pm. Winter hours are 9:30am to 6:30pm. Please call 570-325-3673 for more information or write Jim Thorpe Chamber of Commerce P.O. Box 90 Jim Thorpe, PA, 18229.

 [graphic] Link to Canal History Essay
 [graphic] Link to Delaware and Lehigh Region Essay
 [graphic] Link to Scranton and the Railroad Essay
 [graphic] Link to Establishing the Heritage Corridor Essay


Corridor Home | Map | List of Sites | Learn More | Itineraries | NR Home | Next Site


Comments or Questions


[graphic] Link to the National Park Service website