In 1802 the bank was the target of a inventive but unsuccessful robbery plot. A man by the name of Withers entered a drain near the bank, and began tunneling toward the bank's vault. He remained underground for three months as he dug, supplied with food and water by an accomplice who carelessly led to the plot's discovery.
In 1835 the building was purchased by the Charleston Library Society , thought to be the third oldest library in the country. During their occupancy, the building was damaged by the 1886 earthquake and received a Victorian roof. After the Library Society relocated in 1914, the Charleston Chamber of Commerce purchased the building. In 1966 the building finally returned to its original use when purchased by the Citizens and Southern Bank. This institution removed the Victorian roof, renovated the interior and replicated the original iron fencing. Currently the bank building is used as a private office.