| "The little house in the lowly street with the lovely
name," is how American author, Poet and critic Edgar Allan Poe described
the two-bay, two-and-a-half story brick building where he resided from
1833 to 1835. Poe was born in Boston in 1809, but both his parents died
while he was an infant, so John Allan, a Scottish merchant residing in
Virginia, raised him first in Britain and later in Richmond. Poe joined
the military, distinguishing himself, but was dismissed from West Point
early in 1831. Poe lived at 203 Amity Street with his paternal grandmother,
his aunt, Maria Clemn, and her daughter, Virginia, whom he later married.
It was while living on Amity Street that Poe's prose tales began to attract
attention, and in 1835 he moved back to Richmond to join the staff of
the Southern Literary Messenger. Poe created the detective story
genre, and his fantastic Poetry and literature profoundly influenced later
writers such as Fyodor Dostoyevsky, the French Poet Charles-Pierre Baudelaire,
who revived critical interest in his works,and H.P. Lovecraft and T. S.
The house, a National Historic Landmark, was built in the early 19th century, and functioned as a private residence until 1939 when it was acquired by the City of Baltimore. The city then leased it to the Edgar Allan Poe Society of Baltimore, which began operating the house as a museum in 1949.
The Edgar Allan Poe House is located at 203 Amity St. It is open to the public Wednesday-Saturday, 12:00pm to 3:45pm. For more information call 410-396-7932 or visit their website.
Allen Poe House and close-up
Previous Site | Next Site | Main Map | Baltimore Itinerary Home | Other Itineraries | NR Home