| The Shot Tower was a lead shot manufacturing facility in operation
from 1828 to 1892. Molten lead was dropped from a platform at the top of the tower
through a sieve-like device and into a vat of cold water. When hardened, dried
and polished, the shot was sorted into 25-pound bags, producing a total of 1,000,000
bags of shot a year--a number that could be doubled if necessary.
Known originally as the Phoenix Shot, then the Merchants' Shot Tower and now the old Baltimore Shot Tower, the red brick tower was erected in 1828. Charles Carroll of Carrollton, a signer of the Declaration of Independence, laid its cornerstone. Over 234 feet high, the Shot Tower was the tallest structure in the United States until the Washington Monument in Washington, DC was completed after the Civil War. This type of building was rare even during the 19th century and today only eleven shot towers remain in existence. Of these four, the Shot Tower is the most outstanding example. This National Historic Landmark is also an excellent example of the simple elegance that can be achieved in the design of industrial architecture.
The Shot Tower is located at the southeast corner of Fayette and Front Sts. The Phoenix Shot Tower is currently operated by the Carroll Museums, Inc. The Shot Tower is open to the public offering tours every Saturday and Sunday at 4pm. Tours depart from the Carroll Mansion, located at 800 E. Lombard Street.
Previous Site | Next Site | Main Map | Baltimore Itinerary Home | Other Itineraries | NR Home