The Bolton Hill Historic District is a residential neighborhood with 20 blocks of relatively unaltered buildings dating from the second half of the 19th century. Although the area was originally open farmland, northward development from the city and the construction of a streetcar line created a building boom in the late 19th century. These development trends brought notable figures to the neighborhood including F. Scott Fitzgerald who entertained, among others, Gertrude Stein and John Dos Passos at his 1307 Park Avenue rowhouse.
Predominately residential, the district contains the groupings of two- and three-story brick town houses and free standing homes. These residences are some of Baltimore's finest rowhouses and largest mansions, including many fine examples of designs from local and nationally known architects. As a whole, the architecture of the district is characterized by simplicity of treatment, uniformity of scale, design and fabric, and high standards of design, materials and workmanship. Red brick, white marble steps, and high ceilings are found throughout Bolton Hill residences. From the 1950s through the 1960s Bolton Hill experienced an architectural revival with the revitalization of the parks surrounding the Francis Scott Key Monument and the green boulevards and fountains at Park Place.
Bolton Hill Historic District is roughly bounded by North Ave., Eutaw Pl., and the Pennsylvania Railroad Tracks. The area is predominately private, but has a website at www.boltonhill.org .
Bolton Hill Historic District
Photo by Roger Mille, National Register of Historic Places
Previous Site | Next Site | Main Map | Baltimore Itinerary Home | Other Itineraries | NR Home