Habersham Memorial Hall, the chapter house for the Joseph Habersham
Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution, is a 20th-century
building modeled after the circa 1819 Bulloch-Habersham House in Savannah,
Georgia, designed by William Jay. The Hall is located near Piedmont
Park in the neighborhood of Ansley Park
. While the exterior of the Hall is a replica of the Savannah home,
the interior was designed not for residential living, but for the
purpose of meetings and entertainment. It was designed in 1921 by
New York architect Henry Hornbostel, who was responsible for several
other Atlanta buildings including Callanwolde
and the campus plan for Emory University. Hornbostel's
design for Habersham Memorial Hall is a fine example of the Regency
style of William Jay, adapted in form and use for the 20th century.
Front view of the Regency style
National Register photograph by Yen Tang
Built in 1921, this two-story, hipped roof, brick-stuccoed building
has a semi-circular portico. The two-story hexastyle portico has
stuccoed columns with composite order capitals and a semi-conical
roof that appears to fit into a central gable in the hip roof. The
capitals are detailed with spread eagles and acanthus leaves. The
first floor doors open out onto a brick paved terrace, level with
the portico but above ground level. The second-story window and
door openings are protected by cast iron railings and detailed with
the initials, "JHC," representing the Joseph Habersham Chapter.
The interior features a central hall, off of which are identical
rooms, and a smaller stair hall that leads to the kitchen and a
stairway. On the front facade are French doors which open out onto
the terrace. The ceiling has open beam work with a deep beaded cornice.
A vast assembly room comprises most of the second floor.
Habersham Memorial Hall is located at 240 15th St. It is not
open to the public.