Please note that this text-only version, provided for ease of printing
and reading, includes approximately 50 pages and may take up to
15 minutes to print. By clicking on one of these links below, you
may go directly to a particular text-only section:
Applegate Trail Settlement Essay
Ashland's Golden Spike Essay
All the World's a Stage Essay
List of Sites
Maps (printer friendly maps, you will
need to print map pages separately)
Begin the Tour
The National Park Service's National Register of Historic Places,
the Historic Commission of the City of Ashland, the Oregon State
Historic Preservation Office, the National Conference of State Historic
Preservation Officers (NCSHPO), and the National Alliance of Preservation
Commissions (NAPC) proudly invite you to explore Ashland, Oregon:
From Stage Coach to Center Stage. Located in the scenic Rogue
River Valley, Ashland lies just 14 miles north of the California
border at the foot of Mt. Ashland. This latest National Register
of Historic Places Travel itinerary illustrates the development
of the city from a small transportation and farming center founded
in 1852 into a community with a strong cultural identity. Ashland
has 48 individual places listed in the National Register of Historic
Places. This itinerary highlights 32 of those historic places which
depict the charm and historical significance of the community and
provide insights into how Ashland's past has contributed to its
dynamic, thriving existence today.
First settled in 1852 as a milling center, Ashland was incorporated
in 1874. The town became known for education and culture; Skidmore
Academy, founded in 1872, grew to become Southern Oregon University.
The railroad arrived in 1884; by 1891 the town had a library, City
Band, and Opera House. When Ashland joined the Chautauqua circuit
in 1893, its reputation as a resort and educational center grew. Once
a bustling railroad hub, the town declined when the main line was
diverted through Klamath Falls in 1927. Ashland revitalized and became
a magnet for cultural tourism in 1935 with the establishment of the
Oregon Shakespeare Festival, which today is the largest regional repertory
theater in the United States, offering 11 classical and contemporary
plays in three theaters from February through October. Southern Oregon
University, part of the state's regional comprehensive higher education
system, provides library, computing, and community outreach resources
to serve the region and complements the many artistic, musical, and
theatrical opportunities available here.
The City has provided support for historic preservation efforts through
its sponsorship of the Historic Commission and through recognition
of individual citizens' efforts to keep its history alive. For example,
Ashland for many years has had four locally-designated historic districts.
In large part as a result of city support, two of these--the Ashland
Railroad Addition District and the Downtown
District--have now been placed in the National Register, while
the others are in the process of nomination and consideration. Although
Ashland was a hub city before the railroad arrived, the importance
of rail transportation on its life and commerce are apparent in a
tour of the Railroad Addition Historic District. The imposing multi-storied
railroad depot was torn down years ago, but the South
Wing of the Ashland Depot Hotel has been preserved as a reminder
of those glory days. Also reflecting the historic district's diverse
population in those early days is the Nihls Ahlstrom
House, the simple home of a railroad worker and the John
McCall House, the imposing home of a prominent resident. Among
public buildings are the Peerless Rooms Building
(where both passengers and local boarders once resided), and Trinity
Episcopal Church (the only church in Ashland still in use by its
original denomination). Unlike many western small towns, Ashland still
has a vibrant downtown, as a visit to the historic Downtown District
makes clear. Walking from an early fraternal lodge, the International
Order of Oddfellows (IOOF) Building, on the Plaza, to the recently
restored Mark Antony Motor Hotel (Ashland
Springs Hotel) is a stroll through both time and styles of living
and of architecture.
Ashland, Oregon: From Stage Coach to Center Stage offers
several ways to discover the historic properties that played important
roles in the City's past. Each highlighted property features a brief
description of the place's significance, color, and where available,
historic photographs, and public accessibility information. At the
bottom of each page the visitor will find a navigation bar containing
links to three essays that explain more about early days of the
Applegate Trail Settlement, Ashland's
Golden Spike, and All the World's a Stage.
These essays provide historic background, or "contexts," for many
of the places included in the itinerary. The itinerary can be viewed
online, or printed out if you plan to visit Ashland, Oregon, in
Created through a partnership between the National Park Service's
National Register of Historic Places, the Historic Commission of the
City of Ashland, the Oregon State Historic Preservation Office, NCSHPO
and NAPC, Ashland, Oregon: From Stage Coach to Center Stage is
the latest example of a new and exciting cooperative project. As part
of the Department of the Interior's strategy to revitalize communities
by promoting public awareness of history and encouraging tourists
to visit historic places throughout the nation, the National Register
of Historic Places is cooperating with communities, regions and Heritage
Areas throughout the United States to create online travel itineraries.
Using places listed in the National Register of Historic Places, the
itineraries help potential visitors plan their next trip by highlighting
the amazing diversity of the country's historic places and supplying
accessibility information for each featured site. In the Learn
More section, the itineraries link to regional and local web sites
that provide visitors with further information regarding cultural
events, special activities, lodging and dining possibilities as well
as histories of the region, to help you explore further. Visitors may be intersted in Historic Hotels of America, a program of the National Trust for Historic Preservation, located in Oregon, including the Ashland Springs Hotel.
Ashland is the 10th of more than 30 organizations working directly
with the National Register of Historic Places to create travel itineraries.
Additional itineraries will debut online in the future. The National
Register of Historic Places and the Historic Commission of the City
of Ashland hope you enjoy this virtual travel itinerary of the city's
historic places. If you have comments or questions please just click
on the provided e-mail address, "comments or questions" located
at the bottom of each page.
Welcome. As mayor of Ashland, Oregon, it is a pleasure
to invite you to explore our town and its rich history. After your
virtual tour, we would be delighted if you find time one day to
visit us in person as well. Ashland is nestled near the head of
the scenic Rogue River Valley in an exquisite part of Oregon known
colloquially as the "State of Jefferson," a non-existent state but a wonderful part of Oregon and the northwest.
Known for its scenery and mild climate, with the Cascade mountain range joining the Siskiyou mountains just a few miles south of town, Ashland is also a historically and culturally rich community. We are home to the renowned Oregon Shakespeare Festival, a world-class repertory company, which performs eleven plays per year over a nine-month season. The festival has three theaters in town including a unique open-air Elizabethan replica and a soon-to-be-completed state-of-the-art smaller theater. Southern Oregon University, a 5000-student public university, has made its home here for more than 75 years. Ashland and the surrounding Rogue Valley are host to many other fine performing musical and arts groups and galleries.
Historically and today, Ashland is one of America's finest small towns. Originally the site of a Takilma Indian village built on Ashland creek, the town of Ashland was founded in 1852 with a mill established on the creek and a downtown "plaza" developing nearby. A north-south railroad link followed soon afterward, and Ashland thrived as a key terminus of a stage route over the rugged Siskiyou Pass to California. Today, the downtown plaza remains the hub of Ashland, which has retained its charm and centrality, along with its many historic buildings.
As Ashland's mayor, one of the things in which I take particular pride is our city's commitment to its historic heritage. We invite you to enjoy the "virtual" tour laid out here for you, and then to come see us in person one day. Our city web site, www.ashland.or.us, can help you make plans for that.
With all best wishes,
John Morrison, Mayor
The original Oregon Trail to the Willamette Valley was extremely
hazardous and in 1846 Jesse Applegate led a small group of trailblazers
in search of a southern route that did not require facing the challenge
of the mighty Columbia River where so many pioneers had perished.
The Applegate Trail, also known as South Emigrant Road, they opened
up was indeed a safer way that traversed the Rogue River Valley.
Applegate and his companions did not linger, however, but returned
to the Willamette Valley settlements they already knew. This situation
would soon change as a result of federal legislation and gold fever.
The Donation Land Law, passed in 1850, provided public land to
settlers in the Oregon Territory. It allowed a single male settler
to claim 320 acres and a married couple 640 acres (half to be held
by the wife). A Donation Land Claim could be filed by any citizen
of the United States who had declared intentions before December
1, 1850 and who had resided on and cultivated the land for four
consecutive years. Long before the railroad brought prosperity to
Ashland, encouraged by this federal legislation, the earliest European
settlers in the Ashland area came seeking agricultural land. Although
most of their original homes are gone now, the John
P. Walker House remains as a reminder of those days. The 1849
California Gold Rush boom moved north and when gold was discovered
in Jackson County, miners came, along with the businesses to support
At first Ashland, like so many western towns, was an all-male enclave.
Robert Hargadine and Abel Helman filed the first Donation Land Claims.
Helman had mined in California with Eber Emery; together they built
the first sawmill in the valley, powered by water from Ashland Creek.
After becoming satisfied with the prospects they found here, men with
families in the east returned to bring them to Ashland. In April 1853,
Isaac Hill brought his family overland by wagon. His wife Elizabeth
was the first white woman to arrive--soon to be joined by others in
a familiar pattern of western settlement.
Because of Ashland's proximity to water power beside Ashland Creek,
among the town's first enterprises was milling. The lumber, woolen,
and flour mills built near today's Plaza accounted for the town's
being designated as "Ashland Mills" when the first post office was
established in 1855. The Plaza also was conveniently close to the
Stage Road (as today's Main Street was then called). This meant
that supply wagons had easy access to the north-south route also
used by passenger stage coaches.
Soon the hills above Ashland became dotted with orchards as nurserymen
came to explore the possibility of growing different kinds of fruit
in this climate. Perhaps the experience of Orlando Coolidge best exemplifies
this endeavor. In 1866 Coolidge, who had established the first plant
nursery in Jackson County in 1862, planted acres of almonds in the
hills above town. Although pears eventually became the fruit of choice
in this climate, the Orlando Coolidge House
(one of the mansions at the north end of historic Ashland known locally
as "The Three Sisters") stands as a monument to his success. The other
two adjoining residences, The Isaac Woolen House
and The W. H. Atkinson House, were homes of
families active in the years during which Ashland changed from a small
farming supply center to a functioning business and cultural community,
supporting churches, a bank, and a newspaper.
Early settlers in the west depended upon fraternal orders to provide
social activity and a sense of community; they acted as burial societies
as well (part of Mountain View Cemetery was
developed by the Independent Order of Oddfellows). In Ashland one
of the outstanding examples of the buildings constructed by fraternal
groups to house their activities is the hall of the Independent
Order of Oddfellows (IOOF Building), begun
Although most of the homes they constructed are no longer standing,
the early pioneers provided for the burial of their dead and Ashland
has three historical cemeteries. The oldest, Ashland
Cemetery, has burials dating from 1860, while many prominent early
settlers also rest in Hargadine Cemetery.
There were 854 people living in Ashland on September 28, 1880
when stage coaches carrying President and Mrs. Rutherford B. Hayes,
General William Tecumseh Sherman, and party made a brief stop in
Ashland. The crowd of 2000 listened to speeches and then watched
four small girls present a tray of Ashland-grown peaches, pears,
apples, plums, grapes, blackberries, almonds, and figs. Orlando
Coolidge had planted well.
While Ashland's 20th-century revival can be attributed to the cultural
renaissance brought by the highways that contributed to the death
of the railroad, the importance of the railroad in Ashland's history
cannot be overemphasized. Ashland's late 19th-century prosperity
depended upon its rail connections. At first the town was connected
to Portland in 1884, but travel to the south over the precipitous
Siskiyou Pass still had to be done by stage coach. Then came the
driving of the Golden Spike on December 17, 1887 in Ashland. This
event was important to the entire nation, as it completed the railroad
circle around the United States. The railroad was responsible for
the success of the local orchard and livestock industries, as well
as milling and manufacturing. Its prosperity was reflected in the
number of stylish and opulent homes being built by those associated
with agricultural, industrial, financial, and civic affairs such
as the John McCall House, the Fordyce-Roper
House, the John and Charlotte Pelton House
and the G. M. and Kate Grainger House.
Ashland's early settlement was centered around Ashland Creek because
of its water power, but the railroad rapidly became a secondary hub
of the town. The station had a roundhouse, a freight house, loading
platforms and a depot. The trains' arrival attracted wagons racing
down the streets to meet the train and large crowds of locals coming
to see the passengers get off and purchase items from local vendors.
In 1888 a 40-room hotel was built (the remaining structure is the
South Wing of the Ashland Depot Hotel) and the
impact on the local economy was significant.
It was common for passengers to stop in Ashland for a day of shopping
at the new mercantile establishments that were built on East Main
Street like those housed in the Citizens Bank
& Trust Co. Building and the Enders Building.
Not only did the passengers and freight provide a stimulus to the
economy but also, because Ashland was the end of a mountain division
that employed more men than a comparable valley division, many workers
relocated to Ashland and brought their families with them. They
built modest homes in the area and it became a distinct neighborhood.
The Nils Ahlstrom House is an example of this
type of construction.
The railroad also provided impetus for a major event in Ashland's
long involvement with formalized arts and cultural events beginning
in 1892 when a proposal was made to bring traveling Chautauqua-program
lecturers to Ashland. A national program presenting lectures, seminars,
and edifying entertainment, Chautauqua brought the first mass culture
to the area on a site now part of Litha Park--the
first park in southern Oregon. (The outer walls of the original Chautauqua
Dome--all that remains from the heyday of its popularity--now surround
today's Elizabethan Theatre.) Nearby Central Point was proposed as
a Chautauqua site during a Methodist camp meeting in 1892, but lost
this opportunity to its neighbor because of Ashland's train access,
small college, the attractive wooded Chautauqua site on a hill above
the Plaza, and established hotels and restaurants. Although no original
hotel or restaurant buildings survive, The Ganiard Building (Peerless
Rooms Building) gives today's visitor a glimpse into the heyday
of those times.
Ashland's history has a thread of continuity that distinguishes it
from many other small western towns. That thread is a pervasive interest
in education and the arts--predating the arrival of the railroad in
1884--and dominating the town today. The Chappell-Swedenburg
House on the campus of Southern Oregon University is a jewel in
the crown of today's university and may be said to represent Ashland's
long-standing commitment to education. From the time Minister J. H.
Skidmore opened his academy in 1872, through its development as the
Ashland College and Normal School, to Southern Oregon State College,
Ashland has always supported higher education. In turn, the presence
of a college campus has been an inducement to economic and cultural
growth. Southern Oregon University is the cornerstone of arts and
education in Ashland. It offers outstanding programs in theater arts
and the visual arts (including the Schneider Museum of Art and the
new Visual Arts Center).
An educated citizenry was an asset also in developing early theater.
Oscar and Lucinda Ganiard arrived with the railroad in 1884 and
became major builders. The Ganiard Opera House that they constructed
in 1890 on the corner of East Main and Pioneer seated 800 persons
who viewed everything from debates and high school graduation ceremonies
to musical performances and traveling theatrical productions. When
a new high school was built in 1911, space was allocated for a little
theater, where Sheridan's The Rivals was presented the following
year. After a disastrous fire in 1912, the Opera House became the
site of retail stores--replaced as a venue for theatrical presentations,
debates, and other entertainments by the National
Guard Armory ("Old Armory"). Used by different National Guard
units until the modern armory was built, the Old Armory continually
has provided Ashland with a public hall--a place where dances, plays,
shows, weddings, gymnastics, and fairs have been held. Thus it has
been an integral part of Ashland's cultural community for nearly
Before the Depression, Ashland--like the rest of the country--was
experiencing a booming economy despite the decline in railroading
when Ashland was bypassed in favor of a faster route through Klamath
Falls in 1927. Improved highways and the love affair with the automobile,
together with the vision of turning Ashland into a "spa" resort
on the model of Baden Baden (where tourists would come to sip the
healing, slightly sulfuric Lithia waters) were behind the development
of a modern luxury hotel downtown: The Mark Antony
Motor Hotel (Ashland Springs Hotel). The Depression changed
all that, but miracles still occur, and thanks in large part to
the Certified Rehabilitation Program of the National Park Service,
Ashland visitors today can step into what was once the "tallest
building between Portland and San Francisco"--again a landmark part
of our thriving downtown.
All the World's
From its earliest days Ashland has always been a "hometown" community
where those who came stayed to put down roots. Even today as a tourist
center, visitors will remark on this "hometown" character and the
warmth and friendliness of the townspeople. Ashland's women in particular
were anxious to improve their town. The Women's
Civic Improvement Clubhouse (now the Winburn Community Center)
is a direct result of their activities, which included the acquisition
of Lithia Park and the support of musical
activities such as City Band concerts and Ballet in the Park during
the summer months. These women, who earlier had established the
Ashland Free Public Library, fought for and succeeded in obtaining
funding for the Carnegie Library in 1912.
Significantly, it was Alice Appelgate Peil, a woman whose ancestors
were among the first Europeans in the area, who played a major role
in first creating the climate for culture here and then working
diligently to ensure its success. At her home, the Peil
House, a group of women, known as the Ashland Study Club, gathered
to lay the foundations for a number of Ashland cultural attractions
including the Oregon Shakespeare Festival.
While the women were interested in beautification and hospitality,
many of Ashland's men were active promoters; as far back as 1914 Bert
R. Greer, the editor of the Ashland Daily Tidings newspaper,
put out a special issue entitled "Ashland, Oregon: the Carlsbad of
America," (comparing the city to the famous Bohemian spa, located
in today's Czech Republic). However, despite its reputation as a healing
site, recognized by indigenous populations long before Europeans arrived
here and began to promote "Lithia Water" as a nostrum, circumstances
decreed that the town would not become famous as a spa. Rather it
became a magnet for vacationers in search of the theater that developed
Ashland's emergence as a theatrical center really began in 1935
with the efforts of college instructor Angus Bowmer to convince
the city to add Shakespeare's plays to its already celebrated Fourth
of July festivities. With help from the WPA, a simple Elizabethan
stage modeled on Shakespeare's Globe Theatre was built inside the
shell of the old Chatauqua arena. Here Bowmer and his college players
would present The Merchant of Venice and Twelfth Night--a
modest beginning that has burgeoned into a world-class repertory
Ashland has a long history of thriving religious congregations. Today,
only Trinity Episcopal Church still serves the
original denomination for which it was built. More typical of the
adaptive nature of the town's historic preservation is the First
Baptist Church which, like Ashland itself, has been reinvented
to serve theatrical and tourist needs. Those residents and visitors
seeking lighter theatrical fare than that provided by the Oregon Shakespeare
Festival (OSF) flock to the old First Baptist Church, now known as
the Oregon Cabaret Theatre. This is only one of many community theaters
that complement the OSF professional productions and that perform
The First National Bank Building, which houses
the Festival's Welcome and Education Center, is another example of
an historic building's adaptation to contemporary use. The Welcome
Center has daily schedules informing patrons of OSF shows and events,
interactive stations that provide access to the OSF web site, and
archival information and video footage about OSF. Maps brochures,
and other printed information also are available. OSF company members
and volunteers staff the center. The Education Center provides much-needed
space for student workshops, classes and discussions. OSF serves hundreds
of student groups each season introducing young audiences to live
In Ashland, the Shakespeare stage has drawn amateur and community
theater groups; an abundance of classical, folk, and jazz musicians;
and many painters and sculptors. So Ashland itself has become a
cultural stage where residents and visitors alike enjoy these diverse
presentations against the backdrop of a town whose commitment to
historic preservation has made it uniquely viable today.
List of Sites
Robert Hargadine, a prominent merchant, was one of three original
founders of the small settlement first known as Ashland Mills. In
1867 his one-year-old daughter Katie died; hers was the first recorded
burial on the sloping hill north of Ashland now known as Hargadine
Cemetery. This family graveyard was established on land owned by
James Haworth, who accommodated the graves of the Hargadine and
Farnham families. Haworth formally deeded one and one-half acres
to the families "for the purpose of a Cemetery or Grave Yard
for the burial of the dead and for no other purpose." Associated
with the period of earliest developement in the Ashland area, many
prominent early settlers, including Asa Fordyce,
Ashmun Butler, and John P. Walker, are buried
here. As the city-owned Ashland Cemetery became
overcrowded, pressure on Hargadine increased.
Late in the 19th century, the Hargadine Cemetery Association took
title and responsibility for landscaping, road construction, and annual
cleaning of the cemetery. The City provided water pipes and a tool
house and granted permission to the sexton to charge one dollar per
lot sold, in part to pay for the blasting powder necessary to dig
graves out of the hardpan and granite soil. The setting of the cemetery
is characterized by native black and white oaks, ponderosa pine, and
madrone trees, along with native grasses and a variety of historic
ornamental plantings. A historic post and wire fence of 1910 replaced
earlier boundary fencing. The work of local master stone carvers James
and Ann Hill Russell, and John Carr Whipp, can be seen in the variety
of monument types found at Hargardine Cemetery--ranging in size and
design from small plain markers to large tablets, monuments and ledger
As older members of pioneer families died or moved away, care
of the plots declined. While the burial grounds had been approved
for transfer to the City by 1930, the economic crisis of the Depression
prevented that from occurring, and cemetery conditions worsened
through the World War II years and beyond. Finally, because no official
transfer of deed was found, the City resorted to the legislative
process, and in 1989 by means of an Act of the Oregon Legislature
(House Bill 3017) the cemetery shifted from private to municipal
Hargadine Cemetery, 345 Sheridan St., is open to the public
during daylight hours.
The Orlando Coolidge House stands as a reminder of early agriculture,
beginning when Orlando Coolidge came to the area in 1862, purchasing
a large farm and becoming the first commercial nurseryman in Jackson
County. A. G. Walling, an early county historian, wrote in 1884
in A History of Southern Oregon, Comprising Jackson, Josephine,
Douglas, Curry and Coos Counties, that the large nursery Orlando
Coolidge established in 1869, "Is one of the most extensive of its
kind in Southern Oregon. It contains almost all varieties of fruits,
nuts, shrubs, flowers, and ornamental trees to be found on the coast.
. ." The Rogue Valley is still known for its outstanding fruit orchards.
By around 1877, Coolidge had prospered sufficiently to build his
imposing Ashland home on the edge of about 35 acres of fruit and
nut trees. After her parents' death, Minnie Coolidge lived in the
house until 1929. The Coolidge House's Italianate architecture,
which reflects both the time and economic status of its builder,
retains most of its significant design characteristics. This house,
situated on a high bank overlooking Main Street in Ashland, is architecturally
one of the community's finest examples of early private residences.
As befits its original owner, there are large and attractive trees
on the property, whose front landscaping resembles that of the adjoining
properties, the Woolen and Atkinson
houses--known locally as "The Three Sisters." They indicate a
shift in style and increased opulence resulting from the prosperity
brought by the arrival of the railroad (Ashland's population experienced
a 111 percent gain from 1880 to 1890). All are joined by a stone wall
built at the turn of the century when the hill was cut back to level
out the North Main Street entrance to Ashland. Although the beautiful
trees planted by Mr. Coolidge were sacrificed to this highway construction,
the resulting retaining wall created a high bank on which all three
houses sit, giving them a beautiful prospect across the valley to
Grizzly Peak. The Coolidge House now serves Ashland's tourist trade
as a bed and breakfast establishment.
The Orlando Coolidge House is located at 137 North Main St.
It is now the Coolidge House Bed and Breakfast, call 541-482-4721
or visit www.coolidgehouse.com for further information.
Isaac Woolen House
The Isaac Woolen House was built in 1876 by architect-builder L.
S. P. Marsh, a local lumberman whose planing mill supplied the materials
for a number of late 19th-century homes. The design continued the
strong Italianate residential character of the neighboring Orlando
Coolidge House, with a bracketed cornice at the eaves and smaller
versions of the roof detail above windows and porches on the lower
portions of the facade, as well as two ornate bay windows. Like
Coolidge, Isaac Woolen came to Jackson County before 1860 and farmed
in the Bear Creek Valley before building this home in Ashland. In
1878 he became one of the first Ashland townspeople to bring water
directly to the house when a water pipe from the West Ashland Ditch
Woolen was a charter member of the Ashland Masonic Lodge (organized
in 1875). Another prominent Ashlander to live in the house was Captain
Thomas Smith, a longtime Jackson County farmer who bought the house
in 1884 when he moved into town from his ranch property. Smith had
been active politically, serving in the territorial legislature
from 1855 to 1856. Twice elected to the State Legislature (1868
and 1880), he was a founder of the Bank of Ashland. The times that
these prominent men occupied the Woolen House spanned the years
that Ashland changed from a small farming supply center to a functioning
business and cultural community, supporting churches, a bank, and
The Isaac Woolen House, located at 131 North Main St., is a
private residence not open to the public.
W.H. Atkinson House
The W. H. Atkinson House, is one of Ashland's outstanding examples
of the Italian Bracketed or Italianate Style and is among the most
elaborately decorated and best preserved of its type. Atkinson was
born in England in 1844 and came to Ashland in 1874, where he was
active in the town's principal industrial and banking enterprises;
he was one of the founders of the Bank of Ashland. On his arrival
he purchased a one-third share in the Ashland Flour Mill, entering
into partnership with J. M. McCall . In 1879
he became a partner and business manager of the Ashland Woolen Manufacturing
Company. That same year he helped organize the Ashland Library and
Reading Room Association. The following year he helped found the
Presbyterian Church (he was its first clerk and treasurer), which
was built across the street from his future home.
When it came time to build a suitable residence for his family, it
was natural for him to admire the site of the Coolidge
and Woolen mansions, and in 1880 Atkinson bought
the southerly half of Woolen's lot. Construction began in August,
when he was 36 years old. After his early death at the age of 50 in
1894, his widow Eugenia remained in the house for 24 years. She too
was active in the community, donating funds for the construction of
the Atkinson Memorial Bridge over Ashland Creek in Lithia
Located at 125 North Main St., the W. H. Atkinson House is now
operated as the "Queen Ann Bed and Breakfast." Call 541-482-0220
for further information.
G.M. And Kate Grainger
The G. M. and Kate Grainger House is an eclectic style residence
with Italianate, Stick, and Eastlake elements built in 1890 for
G. M. and Kate Grainger. Mr. Grainger was a prominent Ashland mayor
who presided over the city government during construction of Ashland's
City Hall in 1891. Designed by local builder W. J. Schmidt, the
residence embodies distinct characteristics of these styles--steeped,
hipped roofs, a two-story projecting bay, stick paneling under and
above windows, curved brackets, and perforated panel and bargeboards.
Of approximately 500 19th-century houses in Ashland's local and
National Register historic districts, the Grainger House is one
of the best representatives of this style. When the Graingers' purchased
the house in the early spring of 1890 the Ashland Daily Tidings
reported: "Mr. G. M. Grainger, who had purchased the Fountain property
on the corner of Granite and High Street will make a great improvement
in the place beginning as soon as he obtains title and possession.
He will build a new front addition to the house and will have one
of the neatest and prettiest residences in town."
On its completion in 1890, the building was a modified L-shaped volume,
two stories in height on a high basement. A verandah with rounded
corner filling the southwest angle was offset by the two-story polygonal
bay on the principle fašade. This configuration was later enlarged
by two single-story rear additions, the first in 1940. The latest
addition, a garage at right angles to the long axis of the house,
was built in 1989. While these additions are relatively extensive
in area, they are decidedly subordinate to the original 1890 home.
During Grainger's mayoral terms many improvements were made to the
city-sidewalks, streetlights, and additions to the city park. After
he left office, the family continued to be active in city affairs.
When their daughter was married in 1903, the ceremony took place at
the bay window in the front parlor. During their tenancy in the house,
the Graingers occasionally boarded individuals or small families to
supplement their income, a tradition continuing today at the many
Ashland bed and breakfast establishments catering to theater patrons.
The G. M. and Kate Grainger House, located at 35 Granite St.,
is a private residence that is not open to the public.
Emil and Alice
Applegate Peil House
The Emil and Alice Applegate Peil House is a rather subdued and partially
eclectic mix of bungalow or cottage design and certain more traditional
elements from the earlier Victorian period. As the Plaza developed
into an industrial and commercial area, prosperous businessmen built
their new homes along Granite Street to have a view of their companies
below. So Emil Peil built his house overlooking his wagon and agricultural
implements business as he prepared to marry a teacher who was a
granddaughter of Lindsay Applegate, one of the pioneers who blazed
the Applegate Trail to Oregon. Alice Applegate
Peil was an early educator, the first female school principal in
the area. She was responsible for organizing the Ashland Study Club
that was to play an important role in developing the Chautauqua,
the Ashland Library, and the Oregon Shakespeare
Festival. In addition to her social and cultural interests,
Mrs. Peil was an active partner in the Peil Implement Company. In
that capacity, she purchased an automobile in 1916 and became one
of the first women to drive on Oregon highways throughout southern
A single-story building, the Emil and Alice Applegate Peil House
was built by local contractors Moyer and Van Natta and completed
in August 1910. The wood frame building with a distinctive cut sandstone
porch retains considerable integrity in design, use of materials,
and setting. In order to have easier access to the family business,
the Peils built a flight of steel steps down to the Plaza. As their
use became popular with Ashland residents, Mrs. Peil donated the
northern six feet of her lot to the city, thus formalizing the public
use of the walkway known as the Alice Applegate Peil Walkway.
The Emil and Alice Applegate Peil House is located at 52 Granite
St. It is a private residence and is not open to the public.
Domingo Perozzi established his Ashland Creamery in 1896--the only
creamery in Jackson County--and soon was distributing dairy products
over a large area of Southern Oregon and Northern California. Perozzi
was born on February 18, 1871, in Switzerland. His father moved
to California when Domingo was small and he grew up there with his
family. The Domingo Perozzi House was constructed in 1902 with prominent
Italianate features that suggest the simpler approach to architectural
detail common after 1900. The property surrounding the house was
originally large, extending down a bank to what is now Lithia
Park. The Perozzi House was constructed during one of Ashland's
most economically healthy periods. At the close of the 19th century,
the railroad was bringing many new residents, and enabling farms
and businesses to ship their products out of the valley. Perozzi
was well aware of the economic importance of the railroad when he
began his creamery in Ashland in the autumn of 1896. By 1905 the
Ashland Creamery was distributing milk, butter, and other items
to a large area in Southern Oregon and Northern California.
During the last years of his life, Domingo Perozzi contributed to
the dairy industry in Oregon, working to improve dairy stock and
possessing one of the finest herds of registered Brown Swiss cattle
in the state at his farm near Eugene, Oregon. The Perozzis' influence
in Ashland is linked both to the Park and to education. Before his
death, Mr. Perozzi and his wife deeded three acres of his land to
the city for park use. He also was instrumental in purchasing the
Italian marble fountain from the 1915 Pan-American Exposition in
San Francisco and donating it to the park where it is now known
as the Butler-Perozzi Fountain. The Perozzis' gift of 40 acres of
land helped determine the site for constructing the campus of the
college now known as Southern Oregon University. The original house,
owned by the Perozzi family for nearly half a century, has been
The Domingo Perozzi House is located at 88 Granite St. It is
a private residence and is not open to the public.
Women's Civic Improvement
The Ashland Women's Civic Improvement Club was founded in 1908
for the purpose of improving and beautifying Ashland. The home for
this civic organization was built from 1921 to 1922, and was later
known as the Winburn Way Community Center. The Civic Club, instrumental
in obtaining additional land for Lithia Park
and in supporting Ashland's Fourth of July parades, always saw its
role as promoting civic pride (and incidentally boosting tourism
by providing a place to welcome women visitors to town). The work
of Ashland's Civic Club was typical of these progressive era groups
around the country. Raising funds to build a clubhouse was not easy
and it was only through the philanthropy of Jesse Winburn (for whom
the building was later named) that the club ladies found the funds
to erect their Arts and Crafts bungalow, with a central covered
After the formal dedication of the clubhouse it was used for meetings,
banquets, shows and tourist events until it became a USO headquarters
during World War II. After the War it served as the home of the
Ashland Parks and Recreation Department for a number of years. The
building became quite run down, and in 1985 the City of Ashland
took control of the property, which was restored and rededicated
to its original use for local club meetings, dances, exhibitions
and presentations. Thus, it continues to contribute to the original
ideals of its founders.
The Women's Civic Improvement Clubhouse, now the Ashland Community
Center, located across from Lithia Park at 59 Winburn Way, is open
to the public as a meeting space, and is also available for private
rental for a nominal fee. Call 541-488-0231 for further information.
Lithia Park, which began with eight acres in 1892 as a place where
the Chautauqua Association could bring entertainment and culture
to southern Oregon, has continued to grow and change along with
the community that surrounds it. Its growth and development from
a Chautauqua site (where the original Shakespeare theater began
in 1935) to a complete reflection of the public parks movement makes
it of great historical as well as landscape interest. Today 42 of
its 93 acres are listed in the National Register. Visitors approaching
Lithia Park will note the towering Tree of Heaven at the Plaza entrance
planted in the 19th century by--according to legend--Abel Helman's
Chinese cook. In 1908 at the urging of the Women's
Civic Improvement Club, the people of Ashland passed a measure
to include park maintenance in the City Charter.
The following year the old flour mill was torn down, a park board
was elected, and additional acres bordering Ashland Creek were acquired.
In 1910 the lower duck pond and waterfall feeding it were constructed,
while Bert Greer, an ambitious newspaper editor conceived of making
Ashland a world-famous spa by capitalizing on the Lithia springs
of the area. The development of today's park began in 1914 with
the hiring of John McLaren (also designer of San Francisco's Golden
Gate Park) as landscape architect. Lithia Park embodies the distinctive
characteristics of park design in the tradition of Frederick Law
Olmsted. McLaren's landscape plan for Lithia Park was organic in
layout, following the natural canyon of the water course. The plantings
were naturalistic to the extent that native alders, oaks, conifers
and madrones were incorporated, but other plants, such as willows,
maples, sycamores, and numerous ornamental varieties were introduced
and selected for hardiness, form and color. Once within the Park,
the visitor can walk along the trail on the east side of Ashland
Creek to the Park headquarters and obtain a map showing the location
of both historic (e.g., 1915: Lithia Water Fountain, Butler-Perozzi
Fountain Terrace, Sycamore Grove, Upper Duck Pond) and more modern
park features including a trail guide to the most significant trees
throughout the Park.
Lithia Park is located at 59 Winburn Way and is open to the
public. Trail guides and other booklets about the park can be obtained
from the park office of Ashland Parks and Rec. Dept., open Monday-Friday
8:00am to 5:00pm, and free performances are frequently offered at
the Bulter Bandshell. For performance schedules and further information
call 541-488-5340 or visit the website.
The Chamber of Commerce offers nature walks Sundays, Wednesdays,
and Fridays at 10:00am (call 541-482-3486 or visit the website).
When European settlers arrived in 1852, they established Ashland's
commercial district as the town's physical and economic center.
Initially focused on thearea known as the "Plaza," the
district gradually expanded east along Main Street to Third Street,
with most major buildings completed by 1929. From its founding at
the point where the Southern Oregon Emigrant Route (the Applegate
Trail) bisected Ashland Creek--through the evolution of the route
from stage to rail to automobile transportation--a lineal pattern
has remained. The earliest surviving map of Ashland, drawn in 1860,
indicates a three-block arrangement of lots clustered in front of
a flour mill. On these blocks stood the wood frame Ashland Boarding
House, a livery, blacksmith shop, and Robert Hargadine's
Store and residence. In 1867, after intense competition with
Jacksonville, promoters built the Ashland Woolen Mills on the banks
of Ashland Creek near the present intersection of B and Water streets.
Although the woolen mill, a nursery, and a Methodist college contributed
to the town's growth, Ashland's economy remained farm-based for
the first 30 years of its existence. Wheat and oats, corn and hogs,
sheep, hay, apples, peaches and pears made farming profitable and
encouraged settlers to stay. Ashland's commercial district expanded
gradually around the clearing in front of the flour mill and residential
neighborhoods developed nearby on Granite and Church streets, as
well as on Main, Pine (Helman) and Oak streets.
Faced with a pressing need for public services, Ashland applied for
incorporation and on October 13, 1874, the Oregon State Legislature
granted the town a charter. A fire swept through the commercial district
on March 11, 1879, destroying all the buildings on the west side of
the open area that had become known as the Plaza. By the summer of
1879 brick buildings had replaced some of these buildings. When the
railroad came to Ashland, the change was dramatic. The rapidly increasing
population required the establishment of law enforcement, water systems,
street improvements and fire protection. In 1884 and 1886 several
brick commercial buildings, new sidewalks and street crossings were
completed on the Plaza to accommodate the rapidly growing community.
By 1885 demand for increased government representation led to a new
charter and Ashland's incorporation as a city.
With few exceptions, Ashland's downtown buildings have been remodeled
or reconfigured to meet changing business needs; today the city
has instituted "Downtown Design Standards" to help keep
its distinct characteristics. Changing transportation patterns,
closely linked with the town's interest in tourism, also had a major
impact on the town's development. The early mills that gave Ashland
its first commercial prosperity were located along Ashland Creek,
which remains the hub for the theaters, shopping, and dining experiences
that characterize the town today. Surrounded by early residential
uses and set against a visual backdrop of Ashland Canyon and the
foothills to the south, with views of the rural hillsides across
the valley to the north, Ashland's downtown is a dense commercial
core. It is characterized by vertical masonry buildings and traditional
architecture, set within a small valley that still maintains an
overall rural character. The Ashland Downtown Historic District
possesses many historic homes, churches, commercial and civic buildings,
including the IOOF Building, the
Whittle Garage Building, the First National
Bank, Vaupel Store and Oregon Hotel Buildings, the
Mark Antony Motor Hotel (Ashland Springs Hotel), the
Citizen's Banking & Trust Co. Building, the
Enders Building, the Fordyce Roper House-Southern
Oregon Hospital, the First Baptist Church
and the Trinity Episcopal Church.
The Ashland Downtown Historic District is roughly bounded by
Lithia Way and C St., Church, Lithia Park and Hargadine & Gresham
sts. Tours of the district are offered by the city every May during
National Preservation Week. Old Ashland Walking Tours are offered
from June 15-September 15, Monday-Saturday at 10:00 am, beginning
at the Plaza Information Booth. There is a fee, call 541-552-9159
for further information.
The 1879 International Order of Oddfellows (IOOF) Building stands
in its original location. Before its completion a disastrous fire,
which started in a blacksmith shop on the Plaza, destroyed most
of the buildings in the area. Shortly thereafter the Lodge joined
with local merchants to build a fireproof brick structure. Its eclectic
style with Italianate elements makes it typical of the period when
Ashland's booming growth permitted expansion. Like many western
towns, fraternal organizations, along with churches, provided the
primary social outlet. The IOOF Building was built by the merchants
and the Oddfellows. Locally designed, it was built of local clay
brick, and constructed by local brick makers. The September 19,
1879, edition of the Ashland Daily Tidings carried the following
announcement: "The foundation of the Oddfellows and Merchants
building is complete. It is finished and ready for brick-work."
The IOOF Building has maintained its architectural integrity and
continued use as a commercial building. Although the IOOF Lodge
no longer occupies the upper floor (it is now a restaurant), the
lower half of the building has been in continual use by local merchants,
and today merchants continue to serve the public in ground-story
shops. The building has an eclectic style common in small western
towns during the middle of the late 19th century.
The IOOF Building is located at 49-59 N. Main St. "On the Plaza."
The street at the rear of the building facing Ashland Creek is the
site of a weekend Artisans' Market during the summer months. The
stores and eating establishments that now occupy the building are
open to the public during normal business hours.
The Whittle Garage Building has been used by a variety of businesses
throughout its history. Completed in 1925 by Floyd Whittle, it is
the best surviving example in Ashland's downtown of the simple,
utilitarian falsefront commercial building type that dominated much
of the southern Oregon's downtown landscape since the middle of
the 19th century. It is also the only remaining example of the auto
repair/machine shops and filling stations constructed in downtown
Ashland during the first third of the 20th century, and one of the
few early 20th-century industrial buildings remaining downtown.
The Whittle Garage is a rather late example of a falsefront building,
a vernacular type which arose in the 19th century (along with the
advent of economical frame construction) that consisted of an extended
fašade concealing the smaller frame and creating the impression
of a larger business. Falsefronts easily adapted to the fire-resistant
masonry construction needed for garages and new service industries
introduced with the automobile. Historic photographs indicate that
the original facade featured unpainted concrete with multipaned
Known as the Pioneer Glass and Cabinet Shop from late 1953 until
1996, the building's poured concrete facade, simple storefront detail,
and stepped parapet are remarkably faithful to their original design.
The Pioneer Glass owners were originally hired to repair extensive
damage to the building caused by a major fire; they then decided
to move their business into the garage. Recently combining commitments
to preservation and gastronomy, the Whittle Garage Building has
been converted to a more public function. The current owners participated
in the National Parks Service's Certified Rehabilitation program
for which they received a historic
preservation tax credit, and converted the garage into the Standing
Stone Microbrewery and Restaurant. The building continues to retain
its essential industrial character and open interior space while
serving the economy of the city's thriving downtown.
The Whittle Garage Building (Standing Stone Microbrewery/Restaurant)
is located at 101 Oak St. It is open to the public 11:30am to midnight
daily. Call 541-482-2448 for further information.
Bank, Vaupel Store, Oregon Hotel Buildings
The First National Bank Building, now used as part of the administrative
office for the Oregon Shakespeare Festival, was built in 1909 to
house the successful banking business that was founded in 1901.
It was one of the first commercial buildings on East Main Street
after the turn of the century and drew other businesses away from
the Plaza area as the bank became Ashland's primary financial facility
during those early decades. The building contains a variety of masonry
work incorporated in the walls and decorative detail.
In 1910, the brick and concrete Vaupel Store/Oregon Hotel Building
was constructed directly north and adjacent to the bank, sharing
a common wall. Stylistically eclectic, the architect tried to tie
this building visually to its neighbor with brick work trim. The
first floor was commercial space with large plate glass windows
to allow the maximum space for merchandise displays. C. H. Vaupel,
longtime Ashland businessman, first leased this space and remained
there until his death in 1931. The Oregon Hotel occupied the second
floor, which had 18 guest rooms, each with hot and cold water and
In the more than 90 years since its construction, the Bank has
been used only for that purpose, leased office space, and the Oregon
Shakespeare Festival, which purchased it in 1967. The building has
always been at the economic heart of the community. Today, as part
of Ashland's primary tourist attraction and source of local education
and entertainment enrichment, it is an important factor in the Festival's
integration within Ashland and in the stabilization of the central
business district. The courtyard between the Festival theaters and
the First National Bank building serves as a metaphor for the continuation
of history and tradition so typical of Ashland.
The First National Bank Building, Vaupel Store and Oregon Hotel
Buildings is located at 100 E. Main St. The Festival's Welcome and
Education Center on the Main St. side is open to the public Tuesday
through Sunday: summer hours are from 9:30am to 8:00pm, spring and
fall from 9:30am to 6:00pm.
Mark Antony Motor
The Mark Antony Motor Hotel, was erected in 1924-25 just before the
Great Depression. Originally known as the Lithia Springs Hotel,
it was intended to be a luxury hotel with first-class accommodations
for the many visitors that the city expected to be drawn to Ashland
as a health resort and vacation center. The building was designed
by architects Tourtellotte and Hummell entirely of reinforced concrete
in an eclectic style with Romanesque, English Tudor, Gothic, and
Neo-Classical Revival elements; it was to be the tallest building
between Portland and San Francisco. This architectural firm later
won the contract to design the new Idaho State Capitol, which was
completed in 1912. Typical of some of J. E. Tourtellotte's later
designs, such as the Boise Hotel (1930) and the Baker Hotel (1929),
the Lithia Springs Hotel has a nine-story central tower with two
short wings. The main entry has a catenary arch with inset windows,
flanked by two round or Romanesque arches. Tiffany-type stained
glass is used in the upper windows and in the three arched openings
along First Street.
When its original promise failed to materialize, the Lithia Springs
was renamed in 1961 as the Mark Antony to capitalize on the economic
revival brought about by the success of the Oregon Shakespeare Festival.
An ill-fated 1978 renovation and continuing financial problems contributed
to a downward spiral only recently halted by its purchase by a new
owner who undertook an extensive restoration. This renovation, under
the National Parks Service's Certified Rehabilitation program for
which the owners received a historic
preservation tax credit, has returned the hotel to its original
grandeur. Now known as the Ashland Springs Hotel, the completed
renovation combines elements of its earlier style with the modern
comfort required by today's travelers. Its location at the center
of downtown will prove attractive to Festival-goers and locals alike.
Thus the landmark hotel tower has resumed its original prime position
in Ashland's landscape.
The Mark Antony Motor Hotel (Ashland Springs Hotel) is located
at 212 E. Main St. The hotel has several restaurants and serves
afternoon tea in the grand lobby. Visit www.ashlandspringshotel.com
or call 541-488-1701 for further information.
The Ashland Springs Hotel is a Historic Hotels of America member, a program of the National Trust for Historic Preservation.
and Trust Co. Building
In 1910, Citizen's Bank retained architect W. F. Bowen to design
a bank building--two stories of buff-colored brick with granite
detailing--and make it visually compatible with the building to
the east, which was then under construction for Clyde Payne, a local
real estate agent. Upon completion, the bank occupied the prominent
corner storefront while the Payne section--more modestly constructed
of the brick without any granite trim--housed a grocery and barbershop.
The combined second floor, accessed via a shared entry, provided
space for a number of Ashland professionals. The Citizen's Banking
and Trust Company Building clearly reflects a period of civic pride,
economic growth, and prosperity unequalled in Ashland's history.
The building's location firmly anchors Ashland's modern business
district as the outstanding and most intact building constructed
during the city's boom years from 1909 to 1913. The new bank met
with immediate success and grew rapidly. After only a year of operation,
its resources increased more than 200 percent, rising from $115,596
in December of 1910 to $217,879 in November of 1911. This rapid
growth was attributed to the community orientation of the bank's
loan policies. The bank had a policy of turning deposits back into
the local economy.
Like many other successful financial institutions, the bank failed
during the Depression; the building later housed retail and office
space at the ground level, while the second floor was converted
to office and apartment use. It remains a center of shopping in
the bustling downtown historic district. Although the bank liquidated
its assets during the Great Depression, none of the depositors lost
any of their money.
The Citizen's Banking & Trust Co. Building is located at
232-242 E. Main St. The stores and eating establishments that now
occupy the building are open to the public during normal business
This building, constructed in 1910, was designed by Rogue Valley
architect Frank Chamberlain Clark and has strong associations with
H. G. Enders, an influential Ashland businessman who operated the
largest mercantile establishment between Sacramento and Portland
here in the period 1910 to 1928. Upon the death of H. G. Enders
in 1928, local businesses closed the day of his funeral. Clark began
his architectural practice in Ashland in 1903. While in a previous
job in New York he was responsible for the architectural details
of Madison Square Garden. Ashland's first concrete commercial building,
the Enders Building has "Chicago" style characteristics very different
from the usual vernacular brick of its period. Its construction
marked the shift in commerce away from the traditional town center
in the mill area around the Plaza. Upon completition, it was the
largest building of its kind in Southern Oregon and for many years
was the largest mercantile establishment between Sacramento and
The Enders Building was an early example of the department store
concept with fire doors between each shop providing an interior
walkway through the long structure, while outer doors to each shop
opened off Main Street. These shops included men's clothing and
furnishings, ladies ready-to-wear and dress goods, a 15-cents store,
a music department, a restaurant and confectioners, hardware and
sporting goods, and a grocery. Passengers from the morning train
stopping in Ashland often shopped there and returned home on the
later train. Today the individual shopkeepers maintain the Enders
Building as an example of Ashland's continuing prosperity. The second-floor
Columbia Hotel, the only surviving hotel from this period, continues
to flourish today.
The Enders Building is located at 250-300 E. Main St. The stores
and eating establishments that now occupy the building are open
to the public during normal business hours. The Columbia Hotel which
occupies a portion of the building can be reached at 1-800-718-2530
or at www.columbiahotel.com.
Fordyce Roper House
- Southern Oregon Hospital
The Fordyce Roper House-Southern Oregon Hopital was constructed on
East Main Street in 1886--the most expensive of the 12 fine residences
erected that year. Built for Fordyce and Julia Roper, the house
is a two-story balloon-framed residence in the Eastlake style. Fordyce
Roper, a miller from Kern County, California, came to Ashland and
bought the Ashland Flour Mill in 1884. One of Ashland's wealthiest
citizens, he was a member of the State Normal School Board of Regents.
Roper sold the property in 1899 to Jane Sather from San Francisco,
who lived there only a short time and then donated it to the University
of California. H. G. Enders, a prominent Ashland developer, bought
the house and leased it to serve as Southern Oregon Hospital and
later as Ashland's sanitarium.
In 1910 the house was moved up the hill to its current location
to allow for the then-revolutionary idea of developing a commercial
district on Main Street so far from the Plaza. Despite its use as
a medical facility and then as a rooming house and apartment building,
and suffering several disastrous fires, the building still retains
its historic appearance. A careful restoration was undertaken by
the present owners, who purchased the building in 1983 to refurbish
it as The Winchester Inn, a bed and breakfast establishment popular
with Ashland theatergoers because of its proximity to Festival theaters.
The Fordyce Roper House-Southern Oregon Hospital is located
at 35 S. Second St. and is currently operating as The Winchester
Country Inn bed & breakfast. Its dining room is open to the public
for Sunday brunch 9:30am to 12:30pm year round; it is open for dinner
daily from June to October, 5:30pm to 9:00pm, and from November
to May, Tuesday-Thursday 5:00pm to 8:00pm and Friday and Saturday
5:30pm to 8:30pm. Visit the inn's website at www.winchesterinn.com
or call 1-800-972-4991 for further information.
Trinity Episcopal Church, constructed between 1894 and 1895 from
drawings by local builder W. J. Schmidt, is the oldest church in
Ashland, and the only 19th-century church still occupied by its
original denomination. Trinity Church is a rectangular building
of frame construction and sided with wood channel siding. Historical
church fixtures include the brass altar cross donated in 1899 and
the baptismal font of white Lucindo marble hand carved by Ashland
craftsman Samuel Penniston that was acquired around 1905. One of
two 19th-century churches in Ashland that retains its original architectural
qualities, the building contains noticeable characteristics of the
Gothic Revival style, including a steeply pitched gable roof, a
pointed west window, a south porch with gable, and trussed rafter
Located in the heart of Ashland, the church has maintained a strong
relationship with the surrounding businesses and residential areas.
In addition to being a house of worship, the church has cultivated
its present position as an integral part of the community through
its use for concerts, a facility for many Ashland institutions and
organizations, and its close relationship throughout the years with
the Oregon Shakespeare Festival. The changes made to the church
over the years have not compromised its architectural integrity,
as enlargements have been made with sensitive concern for the building's
original design. The most recent addition attests to the congregation's
continuing commitment to retaining Trinity's historical significance
even as it grows to meet modern day needs.
Trinity Episcopal Church is located at 44 N. Second St. and
is open to the public. Call 541-482-2656 or visit the church's website
for a schedule of services.
Addition Historic District
When the railroad arrived from the north in early 1884, to be followed
three years later by the completion of the through line into California,
Ashland became a major port of entry into Oregon and the Pacific
Northwest. The anticipated arrival of the railroad instigated a
major wave of building and the platting of this section of Ashland
when it was sold to the Oregon and California Railroad Company in
1873. The subsection that grew around the new Southern Pacific Railroad
Depot doubled Ashland's size and quickly developed into a distinct
region within the city largely governed by "train time."
Ashland's Railroad District provided housing and traveler-based
commercial services that were almost entirely related to the railroad.
Lots were created in random patterns and, beginning in 1884, residences
and commercial buildings were constructed. The Ashland
Depot Hotel was built in 1888 and by 1890, lodging houses, saloons,
restaurants, stores and warehouses formed a separate commercial
district on A Street where residents could conveniently purchase
goods and services.
By 1893, the national depression slowed building in the district,
but when railroad business increased in 1898, the second major period
of growth began. As railroad workers and tradespeople moved into the
area after 1900, one or one-and-one-half story vernacular frame houses
were being constructed that provided affordable housing for the brakemen,
firemen, and conductors, as well as carpenters, barbers, plumbers
and painters. Ashland's population nearly doubled from 1900 to 1910,
rising above 5,000. The growth of this section of Ashland was affected
by the Southern Pacific Railroad's Natron Cut-off, a new route that
created a direct route between California and Portland.
After 1927, when Southern Pacific shifted its main route to the
east, the Ashland Railroad Addition Historic District became a quiet
backwater within the larger city, removed from the downtown area's
automobile-related development. During and after World War II, the
old Railroad Addition became the site of affordable residential
and modest industrial uses, while still retaining its historic character
in large part because of the city's local historic district designation.
Today it still retains a strong visual connection to its early days
while having added a number of art galleries and other cultural
attractions. Many of Ashland's historic buildings, sites, and homes
lie within this historic district, including the
John McCall House, the Ashland Cemetery,
the John and Charlotte Pelton House, the
Ashland National Guard Armory, the Peerless
Rooms Building, and the South Wing of the
Ashland Depot Hotel, among others.
The Ashland Railroad Addition Historic District is roughly bounded
by Lithia Way/East Main, Oak, A and 8th sts in Ashland.
John McCall House
John M. McCall's two-story Victorian Italianate house was built
in 1883 for the founder of the Ashland Woolen Mill, Ashland Library,
and Bank of Ashland. He also served as a councilman, Mayor of Ashland
and in the Oregon State Assembly. The house is an outstanding example
of its architectural style in Ashland and is one of the best preserved
examples of Italianate residential architecture in Oregon. L. S.
P. Marsh, the prominent local craftsman who built the house, also
constructed the Isaac Woolen House as well as other public and commercial
buildings in Ashland. The McCall House's distinctive millwork is
typical of Marsh's craftsmanship and has been recently restored.
McCall (1825-1895), was one of southern Oregon's leading citizens.
Born in Pennsylvania, he migrated to Yreka, California during the
gold rush, and then turned north in 1850 to take mining claims on
tributaries on the Applegate River outside Jacksonville, Oregon.
McCall farmed along Wagner Creek until 1856, ran a miners store,
and in 1859 purchased interest in the Ashland Flour Mill. In 1861
the First Oregon Cavalry formed and he was commissioned 2nd Lieutenant
of Company D, and by 1865 was promoted to Captain. After the Civil
War, McCall served the region in several political offices, including
the first treasurer of the city of Ashland. In 1876 he was elected
on the People's Ticket as a representative to the Oregon State Legislature.
Occupied by the McCall family and their descendants until 1964,
the McCall House was the scene of memorable social and political
gatherings befitting a family whose involvement in Ashland spanned
several generations. Today's Ashland visitors can still see the
grand old magnolia tree planted in the front lawn by Mary McCall
Located at 153 Oak St., the McCall House currently is operated
as the McCall House Bed and Breakfast. Call 1-800-808-9749 or visit
www.mccallhouse.com for further information.
National Guard Armory
The Oregon National Guard Armory in Ashland was built from 1912 to
1913 as headquarters for the town's National Guard Company. It is
one of only four pre-World War I armories extant in western Oregon.
Designed by Oregon's first State Architect William C. Knighton,
the Armory reflects the influence of two period styles, California
Mission and Gothic Revival. Characteristics of the former include
symmetrical composition, curvilinear lines on the parapet, and casement
windows, while Gothic Revival elements are seen in modified pointed
arched openings, masonry facing on a concrete frame, and battlements.
Ashland's history of loyal military service began during the Civil
War when Captain Abel Helman formed Company A, First Regiment, First
Brigade of the Oregon Militia; it was to be a continuing commitment
into the 20th century. Significantly, when a meeting was held in
January 1911 to discuss possible armory construction, Ashland residents
who attended the meeting were particularly interested in the armory's
potential as a community center. Armory construction in the latter
part of the 19th century and the early decades of the 20th figured
significantly in the military development of Oregon.
Although designed for military use, in November 1912 members of
the First Company Coast Artillery Corps announced plans to hold
public entertainment in order to equip the armory with chairs, lockers,
and stage fittings. The building was the site of the funeral of
the first Ashland soldier to die in World War I and it served as
a contact point for families whose men were overseas. Recently refurbished,
the building now houses offices and a public hall that continues
its community service tradition.
The Ashland Oregon National Guard Armory is located at 208 Oak
St. Public events are frequently held here. Call 541-482-1271 for
John and Charlotte
The John and Charlotte Pelton House was built in 1894 by Ashland
builder W. J. Schmidt. The Peltons were natives of the Rogue Valley
area; Charlotte's parents, Oscar and Lucinda Ganiard, were prominent
members of Ashland's business and real estate community. John Pelton
ran a meat business and served as Ashland's sheriff in 1892. Although
the Peltons divorced in 1901, Charlotte lived in the house until
her death in 1926. The two-story dwelling exhibits Stick style elements
including wood frame construction, steeply pitched gabled roofs,
a projecting bay, stickwork paneling, cut outs, sunbursts, and lattice
trim as well as Eastlake details. The Pelton House is T-shaped with
the parlor wing, the stem of the T, extending north toward B Street.
By its size and distinction as an example of Eastlake architecture,
the house is regarded as a pivotal building in the Railroad
Addition Historic District. A one and one-half story rental
house was also built south of the primary dwelling facing First
W. J. Schmidt, the Pelton House builder, came to Ashland in 1880,
and was responsible for the design and construction of many distinctive
houses and public buildings, including Ashland City Hall (1891), the
G. M. and Kate Grainger House (1890) and Trinity
Episcopal Church (1895). In August 1991 the Pelton House was seriously
damaged by fire, causing a concerted effort on the part of the community
to save it from demolition. The Historic Commission, City Council,
and B Street Neighborhood Association all were concerned and fortunately
the house was completely restored.
The Pelton House is located at 228 B. Street. It is a private
residence and is not open to the public.
The Peerless Rooms Building was built in 1904 by Oscar and Lucinda
Ganiard, who built many commercial buildings in Ashland, including
the Ganiard Opera House. Long used for lodging in the railroad district
(and known as "The Ganiard Building"), the vernacular "brick front"
commercial style building is typical of the once prevalent rooming
houses developed to serve the working-class men and women drawn
to Ashland in the early years of the 20th century. It was during
this time when such single-room occupancy was the norm for residents
of a working-class community. Following the 1887 completion of a
north-south rail link over the formidable Siskyiou Mountains to
the south, the Southern Pacific Company and its employees assumed
a major role in the Ashland economy. Since Ashland's primary business
district was located along Ashland Creek, over a mile distant from
the tracks, a second commercial area developed along Fourth Street
in what became known as "the railroad district." Given the transitory
nature of railroad employment, many of Southern Pacific's employees
kept to themselves, avoiding the Ashland community at large. The
large number of rooming houses in the Railroad
District also provided low-cost housing for a number of young
laborers, single women, and traveling salesmen who were drawn to
Ashland by the booming economy that the railroad stimulated.
It was under the ownership of Sarah Meekly that the building received
the name, "Peerless Rooms," in 1910. A significant element of the
building is the sign painted on the brick proclaiming "Peerless Rooms"
(probably dating from around 1915) with an early "Coca-Cola" advertisement.
Long considered a "ghost" sign, it now has been restored. In late
1991 the Ganiard Building was purchased for restoration to its original
use, although considerably upgraded from its working-class status.
As "The Peerless Hotel" it is a luxury enterprise that strives to
recreate the aura of a Victorian upper-class inn that now caters to
Ashland's tourist population. The Peerless Rooms is the single best
surviving example of the two-story brick storefront associated with
the development of the commercial area centered on Ashland's railroad
The Peerless Rooms Building, now the Peerless Hotel, is located
at 243 Fourth Street. Call 1-800-460-8758 or visit www.peerlesshotel.com
for further information about the hotel.
Ashland Depot Hotel,
The South Wing of the Ashland Depot Hotel is all that remains of
the original Southern Pacific Railroad's presence in the city. While
Ashland's 20th-century revival can be attributed to the cultural
renaissance brought by the highways that signaled the end of the
railroad, the importance of the railroad in Ashland's history cannot
be overemphasized. Ashland's late 19th-century prosperity depended
upon its rail connections. The driving of the golden spike in 1887
in Ashland was responsible for the success of the local orchard
and livestock industries, as well as milling and manufacturing.
It also provided the impetus for a major event in Ashland's long
involvement with formalized arts and cultural events when in 1892
a proposal was made to bring traveling lectures of the Chautauqua
program to Ashland. Ashland's train access and established hotels
and restaurants provided the city with a major advantage over its
competitors in securing the series.
The south wing (originally the hotel's kitchen) was constructed as
part of the entire Ashland Depot Hotel in October 1888. It is the
sole 19th-century wood frame railroad building standing in Jackson
County and perhaps the oldest surviving railroad building still standing
in southern Oregon. A single story wood-frame building, the Ashland
Depot's Queen Anne and vernacular Stick style decorative elements
are similar to many of the stations that Southern Pacific built during
the rapid expansion of the late 19th century. The days of Ashland's
rail boom were numbered from the start because of the costs involved
in the steep grade of the Siskiyou summit; this led to the railroad's
decision to divert the main Shasta Route line through Klamath Falls
in 1927. When the passenger hotel was torn down, elements were used
to remodel the South Wing; so it still retains material from the 19th-century
The Ashland Depot Hotel, South Wing is located at 624 A St.
and currently houses a computer software firm open to the public
during normal business hours.
Nils Ahlstrom House
Nils Ahlstrom was born in 1829 in Sweden, and came to Ashland to
be a conductor with the Southern Pacific Railroad. The home he built
in 1888 was one of the first to be constructed after the rail line
between Portland, Oregon, and northern California was completed
in December of 1887, connecting Ashland to both of these regions.
Located near the Ashland Depot, it is an excellent
example of a late 19th-century railroad worker's home. The Ahlstrom
family lived in the house until about 1920 when they deeded the
property to one of their children. Once a large family, Nils Ahlstom
and his wife buried five of their small children in Ashland
Cemetery after a diphtheria epidemic. The Ahlstroms were later
buried near their children.
The Ahlstrom House was constructed to house a large family. Although
it is larger than many in the area, its simplicity of plan and decoration
were typical of working class homes of this period. The two-story
building is comprised of a large rectangular main block and short
wing at the rear forming a T shape. The Ahlstrom House was built by
John Fruhan, an Ashland workman of the period, and exhibits Classical
Revival details, including decorative cornices above the windows and
The Nils Ahlstrom House, located at 248 Fifth St., is a private
residence and is not open to the public.
Prior to the founding of Ashland Cemetery, area families buried their
dead on the gentle rises and knolls of individual farms. Like many
other pioneer cemeteries, it began as a family burial ground on
a donation land claim and expanded within distinct boundaries over
the years. Burial dates in Ashland Cemetery range from 1860 (predating
the official graveyard platting in 1880) to the present. Wooded
and grassy in character, the cemetery is surrounded by the city
on all sides, with an entrance arch on East Main Street. Grave markers
are largely vertical and represent a wide range of styles, using
Vermont and Italian marble as well as locally quarried marble and
granite. The variety of monument types and embellishment is due
in part to the skills of master carvers James and Ann Hill Russell,
who worked in Ashland for more than 50 years (1865-1915).
Among significant Russell monuments are those marking the Thomas Smith,
J. C. Tolman, Oscar and Linda Ganiard, and Wagner children's graves.
Typical ornamentation of the period includes fraternal symbols, garlands
and single flowers, egg-and-dart detail, and clasped hands. Noteworthy
burials include those of Lindsay Applegate (one of the blazers of
the Southern Emigrant Route to western Oregon) and Abel Helman, pioneer
settler on whose land Ashland was developed. Ashland Cemetery retains
its original character; the remaining trees substantially reflect
the land's features at the time the cemetery was established and provide
a rare enclave of native vegetation within the town boundaries. The
cemetery provides a link between the early settlers and the period
of development that occurred following the railroad's arrival in 1884.
Ashland Cemetery, located on 750 East Main St., is open to the
public during daylight hours.
The George Taverner House is located on Siskiyou Boulevard where
Ashland's elite built fine homes of distinction in the early 1900s.
Architect Frank Chamberlain Clark designed the house in 1904, and
lived there for a short time after it was completed. Clark was Southern
Oregon's leading, and perhaps only professionally trained, architect
of the early 20th century. He was the student of a New Jersey architect
named Dayone, from whom he learned to combine colonial architecture
with classical detail. Clark came to Ashland in 1902 to work on
a project; impressed with the beauty of the area he settled here
and accomplished a significant body of work in the Rogue Valley.
The design of the Taverner House displays the architect's mastery
of various styles of architecture, woven into a stately composition
featuring columns with Corinthian capitals on both sides of the
staircase entrance. A distinctive feature of the house is its large
round bay, or turrent, with a conical roof and overhanging eaves.
George Taverner, who bought the house in 1907 from Clark, was a member
of the planning committee for Lithia Park when
it was formed in 1909 and also served as president of the Park Board.
Taverner worked with John McLaren, the landscape architect (also responsible
for the design of San Francisco's Golden Gate Park) up until the year
of the mammoth celebration of Lithia Park's completion in 1916. Today,
the house is still a Taverner family residence.
The George Taverner House is located at 912 Siskiyou Blvd. It
is a private residence not open to the public.
The Chappell-Swedenburg House was constructed in 1904 to 1905 as
a private residence for stockbroker Charles Chappell and his family.
Chappell had served as a city councilman for only a short time when
he died suddenly in 1905. His widow and young daughters lived in
the house until 1919. At that time it was purchased by a leading
Ashland physician, Francis C. Swedenburg, and his wife. The family
occupied the property until 1966.
The Chappell-Swedenburg House was designed by architect Frank Chamberlain
Clark shortly after his arrival in the Rogue River Valley in 1902.
Born in Green, New York, in 1872, Clark's prolific output encompassed
some 250 projects throughout the Rogue Valley, including at least
78 residences ranging in style from the Queen Anne and Colonial
Bungalow, to Arts and Crafts and Prairie Style. The Chappell-Swedenburg
House displays a high quality of craftsmanship and detail throughout,
including columns and pilasters of the Greek Ionic order used in
the portico, the upper story fašade, and in the entry stairhall.
This formal residence in Colonial Revival style was placed in a prominent
location along Siskiyou Boulevard, Ashland's important new thoroughfare.
The foremost formal residence in Ashland at the time of its construction,
the house retains its historic exterior architectural integrity and
interior detail. It was long an Ashland cultural and social center
where frequent gracious and lavish entertaining drew Ashland citizens.
The house has continued such associations. After it was purchased
by Oregon's State Higher Education Board; it became associated with
the campus of Southern Oregon University and its educational mission.
From 1975 to 1980 the house served as the Oregon Shakespeare Festival's
exhibit center of historical memorabilia. Later it housed the Southern
Oregon Historical Society's Cultural Resource Center. Today it is
used by the University for the Foundation and Alumni Office and for
The Chappell-Swedenburg House is located on the Southern Oregon
University campus at 990 Siskiyou Blvd. The house is open to the
public during University and Alumni receptions. Call 541-552-7672
for further information.
John P. Walker
The John Walker House reflects Ashland's early agricultural history,
and is one of the oldest residences in the Rogue River basin. John
Walker came to the valley in 1853 from the California mining fields.
This Applegate Trail pioneer became a rancher and advocate of public
education. His career illustrates both the farm-based economy of
Ashland's early years and its continued commitment to education.
He built his imposing home in 1856 (the date of newspapers found
beneath the original wallpaper). The following year Walker was selected
as director of the local school board and under his direction school
taxes were levied for the first time; for many years, based on the
extent of his holdings, Walker had a higher assessment than anyone
else. An elementary school and one of Ashland's main streets are
named for him. In 1884 the home was described as "among the most
valuable and best improved farms in Southern Oregon."
Walker lived in his home with his wife Mary and their four children.
The two-story clapboard frame house with an essentially square plan
rests on a foundation of locally quarried sandstone. The original
half root cellar is intact. With its brick floor and walls of cut
sandstone, the cellar is cooled by spring water drained off by a sump.
Today the property retains its bucolic sense with the small herd of
cattle still grazing near the house.
The John Walker House is located at 1521 E. Main St. It is a
private residence not open to the public.
Mountain View Cemetery
Mountain View Cemetery was established by the City of Ashland as
an area of 10 acres in the city's southeasterly outskirts in 1904.
The cemetery is planted with grass, and mature trees (both native
and introduced specimens) provide a relatively dense canopy over
much of the burial ground. Headstones placed before 1910 exhibit
the same characteristics as those in Ashland
and Hargadine cemeteries, while the majority
placed between 1910 and 1925 are less elaborate, with a variety
of rough-cut or polished granite headstones having flat and beveled
tops. Ornamentation is simpler--primarily incised floral designs
and fraternal symbols. The Ashland Memorial Mausoleum is located
in the portion of the cemetery located south of Highway 66. The
Egyptian style building was constructed in 1924 on land purchased
from the Ashland IOOF Lodge #45. Its interior includes a chapel,
vestibule, and wings that project from the center; a large stained
glass window in the chapel is the work of the Povey Brothers Company
of Portland. Among those buried in the mausoleum are J. P. Dodge,
Alice Applegate Peil and Emil Peil, and Henry
This cemetery represents the city's effort to accommodate the community's
need for burial ground following explosive growth between 1880 and
1910, an expansive period ushered in by the completion of the last
link of the Oregon and California Railroad route between Sacramento
and Portland. It is significant as the town's only example of a historic
garden cemetery laid out and landscaped in tune with the garden and
lawn cemetery movement which originated in Boston, New York, Philadelphia
and leading centers of the upper Midwest in the 19th century. While
Mountain View cemetery contains the last remains of pioneer settlers,
its date of establishment and the fact that it was fashionable made
it the last resting place of leaders of Ashland's great period of
building after the railroad link was established in 1887. Mountain
View Cemetery is an example of an early 20th-century cemetery associated
with citizens of that period and provides a link between Ashland's
initial settlement and post-World War II development. Additional land
for the cemetery was acquired in 1904, 1921, 1922 and 1932 to comprise
a total of approximately 17 acres.
Mountain View Cemetery, 440 Normal Ave., is open to the public;
guided tours of the Mausoleum can be arranged when the cemetery
office is open Monday-Friday 8:00am to 4:30pm. Call 541-482-3826
for further information.
A Bungalow style building, the oldest municipal powerhouse in Oregon
was built in 1909 and represents the long struggle between the city
and a private power company to control hydroelectric power service
to the community. In 1889, two years after railroads joined north
and south rails, Ashland became the first Jackson County town to
have electric power. It also pioneered in power production by building
the Ashland Municipal Powerhouse. At first, power was provided by
a private company. Then in 1908, the city council engaged Portland
engineer Frank C. Kelsey to survey Ashland Canyon to estimate its
power capacity and work was begun, but not without controversy because
the private operator brought an injunction suit against the city
to halt construction.
Several years of struggle between municipal and private sources ensued,
with the city continuing to buy California electricity. A second phase
of development in the canyon began in 1928 when Hosler Dam was constructed
about 4000 feet upstream and Reeder Reservoir, a new water impoundment
facility, also was built. Power generation was suspended for three
years in 1968, but before scrapping the project, studies on restoring
the plant indicated its feasibility; restoration was completed in
1985. Ashland is now one of two cities in Oregon that generates its
own power. Standing on its original site, the powerhouse is significant
as tangible evidence of the relentless effort of Ashland's city government
to eliminate its major competitor and control power generation and
The Ashland Municipal Powerhouse, located at 1400 Granite St.
(Ashland Canyon), is not open to the public.
By clicking on one of these links, you can go directly to a particular
Bibliography of Ashland, Oregon
Ashland, Oregon Children's Literature
Links to Oregon Tourism and Preservation
Links to Historic Places Featured in this Itinerary
of Ashland, Oregon
Ambrose, Stephen E. Nothing Like It In The World: The Men Who
Built The Transcontinental Railroad, 1863-1869. New York: Simon
& Schuster, 2000.
Atwood, Kay. Mill Creek Journal: Ashland, Oregon, 1850-1860.
Ashland, OR: Kay Atwood, 1987.
Brubaker, Edward. Golden Fire: The Anniversary Book of the Oregon
Shakespearean Festival. Ashland, OR: Oregon Shakespearean Festival
Davidson, Janelle. Ashland, An Oregon Oasis: An Oregon Documentary.
Medford, OR: Webb Research Group Publishers, 1995.
Fanselow, Julie. Traveling the Oregon Trail (Traveler's Guide
to the Oregon Trail). Helena, MT: Falcon Press Pub., 1997.
Lundin, Jane. All About Ashland: A Guide to the Oregon Shakespearean
Festival and Southern Oregon. Berkeley, CA: Ten Speed Press,
O'Harra, Marjorie. Ashland, The First 130 Years. Ashland,
OR: Northwest Passages Publishing Company,1986.
Solomon, Brian. Southern Pacific Railroad (Railroad Color History).
Motorbooks International, 1999.
Strom, Ora. Ashland Cemeteries. Medford, OR: Rogue Valley
Genealogical Society, 1990.
Webber, Bert & Margie. Railroading in Southern Oregon and The
Founding of Medford. Fairfield, WA: Galleon Press, 1985.
Oregon Children's Books
Isaacs, Sally Senzell. Life On The Oregon Trail. Chicago:
Heinemann Library, 2001.
Nesbit, Edith. Best of Shakespeare, The. New York: Oxford
University Press, 1997.
Steedman, Scott. A Frontier Fort On The Oregon Trail. New
York: P. Bedrick Books, 1993.
Thompson, Kathleen. Oregon (Portrait of America, Revised Edition).
Milwaukee, WI: Raintree Publishers, 1985.
to Oregon Tourism and Preservation
The city's official website offers information about the city, its
government, advisory boards (including the Historic Commission),
news, weather, and links to other community websites.
Chamber of Commerce
A comprehensive website covering Ashland from its rich past to its
cutting-edge present, including cultural and recreational attractions.
Oregon Shakespeare Festival
The Festival website presents current and comprehensive information about the plays, the company, educational programs, membership and news to enhance the playgoers' experience in Ashland.
A Taste of Ashland
The non-profit Ashland Gallery Association hosts this annual event, many of the galleries are located in Ashland's historic buildings.
State Historic Preservation Office
Assists the people of Oregon in identifying, studying, evaluating,
preserving, protecting, and interpreting the state's significant
The state's official website for tourism offers information on lodging
and reservations, activities, a calendar of events, and the ability
to plan a vacation. The site divides the state into six regions
to highlight local communities and attractions .
The Southern Oregon Historical Society's website is a resource for
up-to-date information about educational and entertaining programs,
sites and exhibits and the society's other services, including a
research library, publications and community outreach.
Crater Lake National Park
This national park offers activities and lodging detailed on its
website. Also listed are hours, directions, fees and a detailed
history of Crater Lake.
Rogue River-Siskiyou National Forest
Situated in the Siskiyou and Cascade mountain ranges, this national
forest's website provides information on Rogue River's natural resources,
forest planning and recreational activities, including hiking trails.
Oregon Caves National Monument
Located in Cave Junction, OR, this national park features three
hiking trails through the forest above ground and an active marble
cave below. The website lists hours, fees, facilities and directions.
Shakespeare Festivals in US
The Institute of Outdoor Drama at the University of North Carolina,
Chapel Hill maintains this comprehensive list of Shakespeare festivals
Trust for Historic Preservation
Learn about the programs of and membership in the oldest national
non-profit preservation organization.
National Park Service Office
National parks have been interwoven with tourism from their earliest
days. This website highlights the ways in which the NPS promotes
and supports sustainable, responsible, informed, and managed visitor
use through cooperation and coordination with the tourism industry.
National Scenic Byways Program
This website, maintained by the U.S. Department of Transportation, Federal Highway Administration, includes information on state and nationally designated byway routes throughout America based on their archeological, cultural, historic, natural, recreational, and scenic qualities. Visit the America’s Byways Myrtle Creek-Canyonville Tour Route website for more ideas.
to Historic Places Featured in this Itinerary
- Mark Antony Motor Hotel (Ashland Springs
- Enders Building: http://www.columbiahotel.com
- Fordyce Roper House (Winchester Country
- John McCall House: http://www.mccallhouse.com
- Peerless Rooms Building: http://www.peerlesshotel.com
- First Baptist Church: http://www.oregoncabaret.com
- Orlando Coolidge House: http://www.coolidgehouse.com
Ashland, Oregon: From Stage Coach to Center Stage, was produced
by the National Park Service (NPS), U.S. Department of the Interior,
in cooperation with the Historic Commission of the City of Ashland,
the Oregon State Historic Preservation Office, the National Conference
of State Historic Preservation Officers (NCSHPO), and the National
Alliance of Preservation Commissions (NAPC). It was created under
the direction of Carol D. Shull, Keeper of the National Register
of Historic Places, National Park Service, Patrick Andrus, Heritage
Tourism Director, and Beth L. Savage, Publications Director. Ashland,
Oregon: From Stage Coach to Center Stage is based on information
in the files of the National Register of Historic Places and National
Historic Landmarks collections. These materials are kept at 800
North Capitol St., Washington, D.C., and are open to the public
from 8:00am to 12:00pm and 1:00pm to 4:00pm, Monday through Friday.
The City of Ashland's Planning Department and Historic Commission
conceptualized and compiled all photographic and written materials
for the itinerary, especially guided by Mark Knox and Joan Steele.
National Register web production team members Jeff Joeckel and Rustin
Quaide (both of NCSHPO) designed the itinerary, while Shannon Bell
(also of NCSHPO) designed maps and coordinated project production.
Yen M. Tang (National Council for Preservation Education) assisted
with photographic and web compilation. Special thanks to Terry Skibby
who provided invaluable historic and color photographs.