Click here to skip the navigation, and go directly to the context of this page
 [graphic] Link to Ashland Home  [graphic] Link to Welcome Letter  [graphic] Link to Maps  [graphic] Link of List of Sites  [graphic] Link to Learn More  [graphic] Link to other Itineraries  [graphic] Link to NR Homepage
[graphic] Map of the state of Oregon, noting the location of Ashland with a star [graphic] Ashland Oregon: From Stage Coach to Center Stage Header   [graphic] Ashland Oregon: From Stage Coach to Center Stage Header [graphic] Ashland Oregon: From Stage Coach to Center Stage Header
[graphic] Ashland Oregon: From Stage Coach to Center Stage Header
[graphics] rotating images of Ashland
[graphic] Domingo Perozzi House
 [graphic] link to previous site  [graphic] link to next site

[photograph]
View of Domingo Perozzi House from street
Photograph by Terry Skibby

Domingo Perozzi established his Ashland Creamery in 1896--the only creamery in Jackson County--and soon was distributing dairy products over a large area of Southern Oregon and Northern California. Perozzi was born on February 18, 1871, in Switzerland. His father moved to California when Domingo was small and he grew up there with his family. The Domingo Perozzi House was constructed in 1902 with prominent Italianate features that suggest the simpler approach to architectural detail common after 1900. The property surrounding the house was originally large, extending down a bank to what is now Lithia Park. The Perozzi House was constructed during one of Ashland's most economically healthy periods. At the close of the 19th century, the railroad was bringing many new residents, and enabling farms and businesses to ship their products out of the valley. Perozzi was well aware of the economic importance of the railroad when he began his creamery in Ashland in the autumn of 1896. By 1905 the Ashland Creamery was distributing milk, butter, and other items to a large area in Southern Oregon and Northern California.

[photograph]
Historic photograph of Domingo Perozzi House, c.1905
From the National Register collection


During the last years of his life, Domingo Perozzi contributed to the dairy industry in Oregon, working to improve dairy stock and possessing one of the finest herds of registered Brown Swiss cattle in the state at his farm near Eugene, Oregon. The Perozzis' influence in Ashland is linked both to the Park and to education. Before his death, Mr. Perozzi and his wife deeded three acres of his land to the city for park use. He also was instrumental in purchasing the Italian marble fountain from the 1915 Pan-American Exposition in San Francisco and donating it to the park where it is now known as the Butler-Perozzi Fountain. The Perozzis' gift of 40 acres of land helped determine the site for constructing the campus of the college now known as Southern Oregon University. The original house, owned by the Perozzi family for nearly half a century, has been extensively enlarged.

The Domingo Perozzi House is located at 88 Granite St. It is a private residence and is not open to the public.

 

[graphic] link to Applegate Trail Settlement essay
 [graphic] Link to Applegate Trail Settlement essay
[graphic] footer [graphic] Link to All the World's a Stage essay
 [graphic] link to Ashland's Golden Spike essay

Ashland Home | Main Map | List of Sites | Learn More | Itineraries | NR Home | Next Site

Comments or Questions

JPJ/RQ/SB/YT

[graphic] Link to the National Park Service website