The 1879 International Order of Oddfellows (IOOF) Building stands in its original
location. Before its completion a disastrous fire, which started in
a blacksmith shop on the Plaza, destroyed most of the buildings in
the area. Shortly thereafter the Lodge joined with local merchants
to build a fireproof brick structure. Its eclectic style with Italianate
elements makes it typical of the period when Ashland's booming growth
permitted expansion. Like many western towns, fraternal organizations,
along with churches, provided the primary social outlet. The IOOF
Building was built by the merchants and the Oddfellows. Locally designed,
it was built of local clay brick, and constructed by local brick makers.
The September 19, 1879, edition of the Ashland Daily Tidings
carried the following announcement: "The foundation of the Oddfellows
and Merchants building is complete. It is finished and ready for brick-work."
The IOOF building today
Photograph by Terry Skibby
Historic photograph of "The
Plaza," and IOOF Building on the right, c.1890
Courtesy of The Terry Skibby Collection
The IOOF Building has maintained its architectural integrity and
continued use as a commercial building. Although the IOOF Lodge
no longer occupies the upper floor (it is now a restaurant), the
lower half of the building has been in continual use by local merchants,
and today merchants continue to serve the public in ground-story
shops. The building has an eclectic style common in small western
towns during the middle of the late 19th century.
The IOOF Building is located at 49-59 North Main St. "On the
Plaza." The street at the rear of the building facing Ashland Creek
is the site of a weekend Artisans' Market during the summer months.
The stores and eating establishments that now occupy the building
are open to the public during normal business hours.
Ashland Home | Main
Map | List of Sites |
Learn More | Itineraries | NR Home
| Next Site