[graphic] American Southwest Header
   [graphic] List of Sites Link
  [graphic] American Southwest Home Link      [graphic] Maps Link      [graphic] Itineraries Link       [graphic] NR Home  Link

[graphic] Previous Site

[Graphic] title
[graphic] Next Site

[photo] Barrio de Analco
National Park Service photo

Barrio de Analco dates from before the recolonization of New Mexico by the Spanish that followed the 1680 Great Pueblo Revolt. A working-class neighborhood of Spanish Colonial design, the Barrio is characterized by adobe-brick, flat-roofed, Pueblo-style buildings once found throughout the region. Of particular interest is the Chapel of San Miguel built in 1620 and located on the corner of E. De Vargas and College streets. Originally constructed to serve the soldiers, laborers and Indians who settled across the river from the Palace of the Governors, the chapel eventually acted as a focal point for the establishment of Barrio de Analco.

Barrio de Analco Historic District, a National Historic Landmark , is roughly bounded by E. De Vargas and College sts. and the Santa Fe River in Santa Fe, New Mexico.


Am. SW. Home | List of Sites | Maps | Itineraries | NR HomeNext Site

Comments or Questions



[graphic] National Park Service Arrowhead and link to NPS.gov