[graphic] American Southwest Header
   [graphic] List of Sites Link
  [graphic] American Southwest Home Link      [graphic] Maps Link      [graphic] Itineraries Link       [graphic] NR Home  Link

[graphic] Previous Site

[Graphic] Title
[graphic] Next Site

[photo] Ruins of the Hawikuh pueblo, 1958
Photo from National Register collection

Hawikuh, founded in the 1200s, was the largest of the Zuņi pueblos and the first to be seen by Spanish explorers. Originally thought to be one of the fabled gold Cities of Cíbola, Hawikuh was conquered by Coronado in 1540 and served as his headquarters for several months. Hawikuh was referred to as the "Capital of the Zuņis." A mission, La Purisima Concepcíón, was established at the pueblo but was destroyed during the Great Pueblo Revolt of 1680 when the New Mexico pueblos rose against the Spanish. Hawikuh was permanently abandoned after the revolt. In its prime Hawikuh had up to 125 rooms surrounding a central plaza and stood four stories high with multiple numbers of kivas. Remaining are extensive ruins atop a long low ridge and the adobe mounds of the mission church.

Hawikuh, a National Historic Landmark, is 12 miles southwest of Zuņi, New Mexico, off NM 53 on the Zuņi Indian Reservation. Check at the pueblo for visiting permission; call 505-782-4481 or visit the Zuņi Pueblo website for further information.



Am. SW. Home | List of Sites | Maps | Itineraries | NR HomeNext Site

Comments or Questions



[graphic] National Park Service Arrowhead and link to NPS.gov