[graphic] American Southwest Header
   [graphic] List of Sites Link
  [graphic] American Southwest Home Link      [graphic] Maps Link      [graphic] Itineraries Link       [graphic] NR Home  Link

[graphic] Previous Site

[graphic] Property Title
[graphic] Next Site

[photo] Old Post Barracks (above) and Fort Huachuca Historical Museum (below)
Photos courtesy of Beverly L. Parks, DesertAura.com [photo]

Fort Huachuca, constructed in 1877, was one of a chain of forts established to guard southern Arizona against the Chiricahua Apaches, led by Geronimo. It was here that the Army organized an elite strike force that chased Geronimo and his followers through Mexico's Sierra Madre during the summer of 1886, compelling their surrender. Fort Huachuca was also the headquarters of the famed 10th Cavalry, the "Buffalo Soldiers," one of the Army's elite black cavalry corps. Today the fort is still an active Army post and covers more than 70,000 acres, 110 of which are the "Old Post Area." This historic district contains many notable buildings, among them the Pershing House, and adobe structure built in 1884, traditionally the Post Commander's quarters; the "Old Post" Barracks, built c. 1882-1883; Leonard Wood Hall, a large two-storied building used as the hospital; and the Fort Huachuca Historical Museum, an adobe and stone building originally used as the post chapel.

Fort Huachuca, a National Historic Landmark, is four miles west of Sierra Vista, Arizona, on AZ 90. The Fort Huachuca Museum is located three miles northwest of the fort's main gate at Boyd and Grierson Aves. The museum is open on weekdays from 9:00am to 4:00pm and from 1:00pm to 4:00pm on weekends; a donation is suggested.


Am. SW. Home | List of Sites | Maps | Itineraries | NR HomeNext Site

Comments or Questions



[graphic] National Park Service Arrowhead and link to NPS.gov