[graphic] American Southwest Header
   [graphic] List of Sites Link
  [graphic] American Southwest Home Link      [graphic] Maps Link      [graphic] Itineraries Link       [graphic] NR Home  Link

[graphic] Previous Site

[graphic] Property Title
[graphic] Next Site

Casa Grande Ruins National Monument
National Park Service digital archive

Casa Grande, administered by the National Park Service, is one of the most intriguing prehistoric ruins in the United States. Built by the Hohokam Indians in the Gila Valley sometime between 1150 and 1350 A.D., the four-story building and outlying structures may have been used as dwellings, a ceremonial site or possibly an astronomical observatory. By 1450, for reasons still unknown, Casa Grande was abandoned. The Jesuit priest Father Eusebio Kino came upon the site in 1694 and named it Casa Grande (Great House). In 1892 it became the first archaeological preserve in the United States. Casa Grande Ruins National Monument encompasses 60 prehistoric sites including the Great House complex.

Casa Grande Ruins National Monument is situated within the city limits of Coolidge, Arizona, off AZ 87. A Visitors Center has interpretive exhibits. Self-guided tour and ranger-conducted talks are available. It is open daily from 8:00am to 5:00pm. Please call 520-723-3172, or visit the park's website for further information.


Am. SW. Home | List of Sites | Maps | Itineraries | NR HomeNext Site

Comments or Questions



[graphic] National Park Service Arrowhead and link to NPS.gov