[graphic] National Park Service arrowhead and link to NPS.gov
 [graphic] Amistad: Seeking Freedom in Connecticut: A National Register of Historic Places Travel Itinerary
 [graphic] Link to Amistad Home Page  [graphic] Link to List of Sites Page  [graphic] Link to Maps Pages  [graphic] Link to Essays  [graphic] Link to Learn More Page  [graphic] Link to Itineraries Home Page  [graphic] Link to NR Home
[graphic] Link to Previous Site
[graphic] Property Title
[graphic] Link to Next Site

[photo]
Union Hall
Photo courtesy of the Farmington Historical Society

In the 1830s and 1840s, Union Hall, then and now owned by the First Church of Christ, was commonly used for public meetings. The women of the congregation met there on March 24 and 25, 1841, to sew clothing for the Mende. Coming to Farmington from the New Haven jail after their victorious Supreme Court decision, the Mende Africans were poorly and sparsely clothed. The women made shirts, collars and vests, and tailors were hired to make trousers and jackets.

The hall was built in 1816 as the Academy, a secondary-level private school for both boys and girls, originally located on Main Street next to First Church. The building later served as a chapel as well as a gathering place. Both abolitionists and anti-abolitionists held meetings here.

Union Hall is located at 13 Hart St. in the Farmington Historic District. It is presently known as the Art Guild, and is open Tuesday and Fridays, from 1:00 to 5:00 pm, and Sundays from 1:00 to 4:00 pm. Call 860-677-6205 for further information.

 [graphic] Link to Slave Trade Essay
 [graphic] Link to Amistad Story Essay  [graphic] Link to Timeline of Events Essay
 [graphic] Amistad Essays
 [graphic] Link to Connecticut Abolitionist Essay   [graphic] Link to Connecticut Freedom Trail Essay

Amistad Home | List of Sites | Maps| Learn More | Itineraries | NR Home |Next Site
Essays: Amistad Story | Timeline of Events| Slave Trade| Connecticut Abolitionists| Connecticut Freedom Trail |

Comments or Questions

JPJ/RQ/SB