The Pelican Lake Hotel, beautifully sited on a 3,585 acre pristine lake, was constructed in 1928 on the spot of the 1898-built Beach Hotel, which was destroyed by fire in 1926. A significant presence in the unincorporated Village of Pelican Lake, the Town of Schoepke, in Oneida County, Wisconsin, the property covers less than an acre of land and encompasses 250 feet of lake frontage. The brick clad hotel measures 86 feet across the front elevation (east) and is two-stories except for a one-story area in the northwest corner. In the early 20th century, the State of Wisconsin actively supported tourism into the northern parts of the State, and with links by rail and improved roads, people came to the region to vacation. The Village of Pelican Lake became prosperous in the 1920s due to the tourist boom, and the Pelican Lake Hotel became, by 1970, the headquarters for most civic and business affairs of the local community, including the Chamber of Commerce. The hotel, closed for a time, has reopened under new owners.
Read the full file on the Pelican Lake Hotel
To see more photographs of National Register properties go
to our photostream on Flickr.
See our Weekly List (with previous highlights)