Since completion in 1922, the Grand Ronde Rail Depot, designed and built by John Albert Schuerch, has served as a hub for transportation, economic and social activity within the community. Created for the purpose of building and operating the Willamina-Grand Ronde Railroad, today the Grand Ronde rail Depot serves as a social and storage center for the Restored Confederated Tribes of Grand Ronde. Originally the railroad served the timber industry and connected to remote coastal towns. In 1983, the Confederated Tribes of the Grand Ronde Community of Oregon obtained restoration as a federally recognized Tribe. Following this the tribe purchased the Grand Ronde Rail Depot to provide office space for the new tribal government, which was used for that purpose until 1997.
Read the full file on the Grand Ronde Rail Depot
To see more photographs of National Register properties go
to our photostream on Flickr.
See our Weekly List (with previous highlights)