The San José de los Jémez Mission and Gíusewa Pueblo Site in Sandoval County, New Mexico, includes the remains of an early 17th-century mission complex and a Jémez Indian pueblo importantly associated with the Spanish colonial and Native American history of the nation. The Franciscan order led the mission-building activities in New Mexico, assigning to the pueblo Fray Alonso Lugo, one of the five priests accompanying Don Juan de Oòate’s 1598 expedition. In 1621 Fray Gerónimo de Zárate Salmerón arrived at Gíusewa to design and direct the building of an imposing stone church and a large convento. The Indians resisted efforts to abolish their religion and culture, carefully selecting which newly-introduced concepts they would retain. The Franciscans abandoned San José de los Jemez about 1639, although the Jémez continued to live there until about 1680, when they joined other pueblo peoples in successfully driving the Spaniards out of New Mexico. The San José de los Jémez Mission and Gíusewa Pueblo Site was designated a National Historic Landmark on October 16, 2012.
Read the full file on the San José de los Jémez Mission and Gíusewa Pueblo Site
To see more photographs of National Register properties go
to our photostream on Flickr.
See our Weekly List (with previous highlights)