The Elkhorn Band Shell, located near the center of Sunset Park on the west side of Elkhorn, Wisconsin, was built in 1926 for roughly $5,000 by local contractor Jake Bauerman. Commissioned by the city council in Elkhorn for the Holton-Elkhorn Band and based on a design by a G. Pheby of Phoenix, Arizona, the Elkton Band Shell reflected Elkhorn’s strong musical history. The Frank Holton Company, which produced brass band instruments, had moved from Chicago to Elkhorn in 1917. Founded by Frank Holton, who played trombone in John Phillp Sousa’s band, the Holton Company moved to Elkhorn when business leaders from the town financed a new factory to lure the company from Chicago. At the local concert held in Mid-August of 1926, the local paper reported that an estimated 4,000 people came to hear the Holton-Elkhorn Band in their new band shell. When the County Courthouse expanded and threatened the Elkhorn Band Shell in 1963, concerned citizens acted to preserve it, and the Elkhorn Band Shell was moved to Sunset Park. The Elkhorn Band Shell is a fine and well preserved example of an innovative 1920s band shell.
Read the full file on the Elkhorn Band Shell
To see more photographs of National Register properties go
to our photostream on Flickr.
See our Weekly List (with previous highlights)