Saratoga National Historic Park, in Saratoga County, New York, covers an area that includes 2,976 acres. It was established by an act of the United States Congress on June 1, 1938, for the purpose of protecting land and resources associated with the Revolutionary War Battles of Saratoga fought on September 19 and October 7, 1777. The Battles of Saratoga were pivotal turning points in the American struggle to gain independence from Great Britain during the Revolutionary War. They represented the culmination of British general John Burgoyne’s nearly successful Northern Campaign, which was devised to cut direct communication between New England, considered the hotbed of American revolutionary sentiment, and the states to the south. The Americans, under the newly appointed Major General Horatio Gates, who headed the Northern Department, lost the first Battle of Saratoga on September 19, but won the second Battle of Saratoga on October 7. On October 17, after preventing any escape route for the British to retreat to, General Burgoyne surrendered to Gates. The American victory at Saratoga proved that the Continental Army had developed into a formidable fighting force capable of defeating a British Army in general battle. It revived the flagging hopes of the supporters of the Revolution and provided the convincing proof France needed to enter the war on the side of the United States, which proved essential to the eventual victory and independence of the new republic.
Located in the Upper Hudson River Valley, Saratoga National Historic Park consists of four discontinuous areas known as the Battlefield, Saratoga Monument, Schuyler estate, and Victory Woods units. The National Register boundary for the battlefield Unit encompasses most of the land where the major actions of the Battles of Saratoga occurred.
Read the full file on Saratoga National Historical Park
To see more photographs of National Register properties go
to our photostream on Flickr.
See our Weekly List (with previous highlights)