Outside of the historic downtown district, the Buchanan Cellers
Mill, constructed in 1888, is one of McMinnville's oldest industrial/commercial
buildings and one of only a handful of tangible reminders of
the City's agricultural beginnings, specifically that a flour-milling
business once flourished in McMinnville. Indeed the building
is the last remaining, intact flour-mill building within the
city limits. The building's status as an anchor of McMinnville's
original industrial district has persisted as it now anchors
the area (the Granary District) currently recognized for its
commitment to locally owned and operated commercial, industrial,
and agricultural businesses. As the city's sole remaining flour
mill building, the continued presence of this building solidifies
a piece of McMinnville's past amidst a changing economy and
streetscape. The old flour-mill building looms tall in northeast
McMinnville, its presence a comfort and constant. While change
is imminent and guaranteed, the preservation of McMinnville's
only remaining flour mill building is an essential link between
the agricultural past and the emerging future.
The importance of the flour mill cannot be underestimated when
considering the success and growth of a community like McMinnville.
Since its beginnings as the Barnekoff and Allyn Flouring Mill,
the Buchanan Cellers Mill has continued to operate in an agriculturally
related industrial and/or commercial capacity while adapting
to the needs of a growing and changing community. Although exterior
additions and alterations were made, the historic Barnekoff
and Allyn's Flouring Mill structure exists today almost in its
entirety in the Buchanan Cellers Mill. Above this paragraph
is how the Mill appeared between 1918 and 1924.
To read the
full file on Buchanan Cellers Mill.
To see more photographs of National Register properties go
to our photostream on Flickr.
See our Weekly List
(with previous highlights)