Plum Island Life-Saving and Light Stations, Door County, Wisconsin
Built in 1896, the Plum Island Life-Saving and Light Stations helped ships navigate the Porte des Morte (Death’s Door) passage, a treacherous passage named for the high number of shipwrecks that occurred on its rocky shoals. The Life-Saving and Light Stations assisted Lake Michigan’s mariners until well into the twentieth century, supporting the safe and expedient passage of goods and people and playing a significant role in the transportation, commerce, and maritime history of the State of Wisconsin. The Stations are currently owned by the Fish and Wildlife Service which has partnered with the non-profit Friends of Plum and Pilot Islands to preserve and manage the island's historic and cultural resources.
Read the full file
See our Weekly List
Recent Weekly Highlights