Hill, R.J., Building, Matagorda County, Texas
Built in 1910, the R.J. Hill Building is one of the oldest commercial buildings in the town of Palacios. The two-story Richardsonian Romanesque building, constructed of cast concrete blocks, retains most of its original historic fabric and design features including the round-arched entries and window openings indicative of the style. The building reflects the economic growth of Palacios in the early 20th century, a time when the town was being promoted as a seaside resort. The Hill building has been a mainstay of Palacios's small downtown district, serving as a general store, a doctor's office, a beer parlor and other commercial uses. It is currently undergoing exterior restoration and interior renovation for use as a local museum.
Read the full file
See our Weekly List
Recent Weekly Highlights