|The Fulton County Almshouse is significant at the local level under Criterion A in the areas of social history and women's history and under Criterion C in the area of architecture. The almshouse (also called Haven Home after 1932) was part of the county's early efforts to provide institutional care for elderly and indigent residents. After acquiring 1,000 acres for this purpose, Fulton County built two new almshouses in 1911. The nominated building was for white residents and another nearby facility was for African Americans. Initially constructed to house 145 women and men, the almshouse operated until 1963 with a population varying between approximately 45 and 200. The building is significant in the area of architecture as an excellent example of the use of the Neoclassical Revival style in an institutional building, and also for its design by the prominent Georgia firm of Morgan and Dillon. After rehabilitation for a new function by The Galloway School, the well-preserved building still retains its historic appearance and workmanship. The building is significant in the area of social history for its important role in caring for its impoverished and elderly residents who often had no other place to live. This is one of only two known extant examples of former almshouses in Fulton County. It is also significant in women's history for the contributions of the superintendent Jessie Early Clark Boynton (1902-1980) who ran the facility from 1932 to 1963. Her achievements included instituting recreational programs for the elderly, supervising the women prisoners who did domestic work at the lmshouse, pioneering efforts at prison reform, and leading a large institution at a time when women were rarely given positions of authority in Fulton County government.