|The John and Chauncey White House is significant under Criterion C in the area architecture as an early nineteenth century farmhouse that was greatly expanded and updated according to the latest fashion in the mid-nineteenth century. Originally built for John White in the early nineteenth century, the house was doubled in size thirty years later to accommodate son Chauncey and his family and his elderly parents, and to include a separate quarters for servants. This reflected the growing prosperity of the Whites as large landholders and successful farmers in the town of Sweden and their growing prestige in the community, especially that of Chauncey White, who became a town supervisor in 1859. It was around that time that the house was expanded and remodeled with ornate Italianate style features. Alfred M. White, John White's grandson later added a Colonial Revival style porch across the facade. Over the years, important farm buildings were lost to fire, but the house survived and remained largely unchanged through additional generations of occupation by the White family. The house was sold out of the White family in 1992 to the current owner, whose current stewardship includes retaining much of the historic fabric, resulting in the house retaining a high degree of integrity.